 Off-Topic / Debate / 4221
Re: Just been spammed by Paul Koelewijn
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 17:31:19 GMT

James Brown wrote:
"The internet", meaning the companies and organizations that provide the
hardware and software that makes this all possible, collectively spend
millions every month in spam-related costs.  That's JUST direct costs.  It
doesn't reflect potential loss of revenue or bandwidth related costs.  So,
while it may not be a big deal to you, it is certainly a big deal.

Agreed 100%.  The biggest thing about spam that just steams me is the
cost-shifting of advertising.  In a traditional marketing situation, the
advertiser pays the expense of hawking his product.  With spam, the advertiser
spends *nothing* -- all the cost is shifted onto the Internet as a whole, and
the ISPs end up paying for it, and sharing the cost with *all* of their
customers.

And it's not just the extra time I spend hitting the delte key.  And it's not
just the increased bandwidth of junk e-mail.  It's the very real overhead of
time and hardware and personnel, to set up spam filters, to bring crashed
routers back up, to invest in bigger and bigger hard drives just for the extra
noise, to investigate and stop the spammers.

If there's one thing the Internet has taught modern business, it's that
advertising pays.  And what better way to invest in advertising, than to get
it for free?  Spammers love what they do, without a care for the consequences
of the malice they indulge in.  They don't even attempt to cover up their lack
of morals.

Hot button issue for me, too.  I will not take it lying down.

Hey, Mr. Farkus, semper fidelis.  Remember what that means?

Cheers,
- jsproat

Card-carrying member of the Star-Bellied Sneech Preservation Society