 General / 15138
Re: Just been spammed by Paul Koelewijn
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 21:44:37 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, William A. Swanberg writes:
I, too, appreciate your pride in your service.  But as to "top of the food
chain," I have to disagree.

I will admit that, to a certain extent, the Marines are an "elite" force,
and this is precisely why they are not "at the top of the food chain."  No
other service or force in the world has the striking power, and more
importantly, staying power, of the United States Army.  You want air
supremacy, you call the Air Force.  You want control of the sea lanes, you
call the Navy.  You want to take a beachhead and secure it for the *main*
element (read, the Army), then you call the Marines.

Misconception. The Marines do far more than secure beaches. Why else were we in
the forward areas of the desert and Viet Nam (and most conflicts for that
matter)? The Marines, pound for pound, pack far more punch. We have staying
power and fire power. The main difference is force size and budget.
Historically, we operate with one quarter the personnel and even less of a
budget and still accomplish more. We are far more effective at greater
distances than any force on the planet (we are required to be accurate with the
M16 at 500 meters). There have been many instances in history where the Marines
have been the *main* element and for good reason.

Hope I don't come off as too hostile here.

Not at all, nor is it my intention. My initial reaction was due to your
"playing decoy" comment, which was totally false.

My main point is that each
service has a unique and vital mission, and that no service can accomplish
its mission without some help from the others,

(In my best Hulk Hogan imitation) Amen, Brother!

but the bottom line is that
to a certain degree, ALL of our "sister" services support the Army in one
way or another.

As I was part of a unit named ANGLICO, I cannot disagree with the support
remark in totality, yet it's not entirely accurate. Navy/Marines can provide
their own air support.

Semper Fi,
Bill