 General / 15058
15057  |  15059
Subject:
the difference between the services
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 19:06:12 GMT

In lugnet.general, James Wilson writes:

In lugnet.general, Bill Farkas writes:

My two cents, having been in the Marines
in an armed conflict on foreign soil and all.

My $0.02 worth, having served in the Army during a time
in which the only armed conflicts was the invasion
of that great threat, Grenada.

[*WARNING*!!!
This post is *TOTALLY* off topic,
so if such messages offend you,
*PLEASE* delete/skip this message
*NOW*]

This exchange just reminded me of something
that a wise old Master Sergeant once told me,
a way a remembering the essential differences
between the various branches of the armed forces.

In the Marines, the officers and the enlisted
are the first to hit the beaches,
and take the heaviest fire.

In the Army, the officers and enlisted
guard the territories newly captured
(or "secured", if you prefer,
but that's a whole 'nother story...)
by the Marines, and take moderate fire.

In the Navy, the officers and enlisted
are aboard ships that bombard
the beaches being conquered by the Marines,
and occasionally take some fire.

And, finally, in the Air Force,
the enlisted escort the officers to the planes,
salute smartly as the officers fly the planes
to the fields of battle,
and then go back to the NCO Clubs
to "guard the base".

:-P ~~~

Why, yes, I *was* in the Air Force.
How could you tell?  ;-)

Actually, in my case,
it was even worse.

You see, while your typical enlistedman in the USAF
was an aircraft mechanic, or a fueler,
or a bombloader, or some other occupation
involving proximity to the *un*-air-conditioned airfields,
*I* was a computer geek, and I *had* to work
in the same buildings as computers, which,
as "sensitive electronic equipment",
*had* to be maintained in a comfortably
air-conditioned environment.

Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk, nyuk, nyuk...  :-D