 Off-Topic / Debate / 4220
Re: Just been spammed by Paul Koelewijn
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 15:45:07 GMT

In lugnet.general, Bill Farkas writes:

It always makes me shake my head at how uptight some internet users are.
What's the big deal - I mean, how hard is it to press the delete button. Some
people are dying of cancer and don't complain as much. If the guy sent you a
notice of a great deal on a set that you want you'd be posting a FOTW
instead. People need to lighten up, spam is not so incredibly unbearable -
sometimes it's great info. My two cents, having been in the Marines in an
armed conflict on foreign soil and all.

http://spam.abuse.net
http://www.cauce.org
http://www.spamcop.net

Look before you leap, please.  While I will conceed that it isn't much of a
pain for me to hit the delete key, it is a pain for me to hit the delete key
several times a day.  It is a pain to have to set up filters, and potentially
miss mail I want.  It is a pain to be paying my ISP more, because of spam.

"The internet", meaning the companies and organizations that provide the
hardware and software that makes this all possible, collectively spend
millions every month in spam-related costs.  That's JUST direct costs.  It
doesn't reflect potential loss of revenue or bandwidth related costs.  So,
while it may not be a big deal to you, it is certainly a big deal.

Sorry, hot button.

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/

ps: spam & armed conflict=apples & oranges.  Not remotely the same, don't
compare them please.