 Off-Topic / Debate / 4246
4245  |  4247
Subject:
Double Negativese (was Re: No gimmicks, just some free background images)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 17:36:22 GMT

Ice wrote in message <38AEC563.B2C84529@inwave.com>...
Frank Filz wrote:

Todd Lehman wrote in message ...
Ummm..... you lost me at the third OK.  Todd, were you a math teacher • in
another lifetime?  :)

I never didn't not wish I hadn't been math teacher.

No, he's just adjusting to being a New Englander...  Todd, you need to do
better than that though, that's a poor example of double negativese.

Frank

Not to start a flame war, but I think those are great examples negatives.
Maybe not no simple double negatives, but great negatives none the less. :)

Well, I have to admit that I'm way out of practice having been out of New
England for almost 10 years now, but what I remember and grew up on were
double negatives which were fairly easy to understand if you were used to
the convoluted logic, and which rolled off the tongue, but would still catch
you every once in a while, and make you think: "Did he just say that? Does
it really make sense? Yup, he did, yup, it does."

Just my thoughts as a former New Englander.

Frank