 Marketplace / Theory / 990
Re: No gimmicks, just some free background images
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 22:28:41 GMT

I'm probably going to take it on the chin for this, but I feel it's
necessary to ask:

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in article
<Fq34n8.ICA@lugnet.com>...
For example, if it was just about anyone other than Larry (or maybe a few
others) who had posted what Larry did, then it certainly may have raised
a few eyebrows.  How do we explain to newbies, for example, that what • Larry
did was an extremely delicate gray-area case, probably not something to • be
followed by example?

So, on behalf of all the newbies including myself I pose the following
question:

Why is it that if someone else had done this it would likely have been more
controversial?

In other words... Todd, you hint in your response that what Larry did was
*somewhat* incorrect, but because it's Larry it's really not as bad.  But
you don't tell us why.  If Larry is to be held in such high regard, should
he not try to lead by example?  Instead it becomes, "Do as I say, not as I
do."  And for newbies like me who don't know why Larry can do something we
can't, it becomes terribly confusing.  I've been reading LUGNET for over a
year and I don't know what's going on here.

Am I missing the big picture here?  Is there something I don't know?

Again, I don't believe for a second that Larry was pushing the gray-area
boundary just for the sake of doing so, except perhaps to make a very • subtle
good-natured point, and he certainly wasn't doing it for his own selfish
benefit.  The problem (IMHO) is the ramifications downstream of • less-skilled
posters trying to emulate what Larry did, and getting it all wrong.

Again, how is a newbie to know that Larry *may* or *may not* have been at
or near a grey area?  And bear in mind that subtlety rarely if ever carries
across in emails or newsgroup postings.  All the smilies in the world put
together can't indicated when someone's being subtle.

Is that
worth getting concerned over, or, as you said, since this is just a • hobby,
is this something probably just best left to slide?

Well, if you want my two cents, then yes, it's worth it.  Otherwise LUGNET
becomes another RTL and people start looking for something else.  I
sincerely hope this won't happen.

I can accept all the auction posts and off-topic posts and silly posts
and.... well, I can accept a lot of things.  What I find tough to stomach
is that the same rules don't apply to everyone equally.

Signed,
A very confused LUGNET'er

Allan