 Marketplace / Theory / 999
Re: No gimmicks, just some free background images
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 02:14:57 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Allan Bedford writes:
I'm glad you used that last little quote.  It highlights my point exactly.
I've been reading LUGNET for well over a year.  I read probably 30 - 40
different messages a day, both via NNTP and the web interface.  I read
messages from all sorts of people, in all sorts of groups.  But I have
absolutely no idea what this 'misteaks' thing is, or how it relates to
Larry and his posting abilites/priviledges.  You see, for all the postings
I've read, and many by Larry, I've yet to discover what it is that makes
Larry any different than any other person on LUGNET.  I've been here since
1998 and I still feel like a newbie.  I understand that many people revere
him but I do not know the history behind it.  No offense Larry, but I
thought you were just another person interested in LEGO like the rest of
us.  :)

Larry's the best one to answer that.  :)

So my question is, how can even newer newbies grasp what's going on, and
understand not to follow Larry's example?

Well, I don't think they can -- and that's 98% of the reason I jumped on
Larry for what he posted.  And it's also why I posted something similar-but-
different right afterwards.

The other 2% is because I personally don't feel that laziness is is a worthy
excuse to go into gray areas.

Larry could have spent the time to dig up an older auction (too late to do
that? oh well) or simply to have cut & pasted the text from his auction page
(no time left to do that? oh well), or (better yet) he could simply have
posted something less hastily earlier (didn't think of that? oh well).

In other words, I don't think that having allowed oneself to fall into a
time-pinch is a valid excuse.  But I'm just a tough, mean, unreasonable guy
that way.

Ummm..... you lost me at the third OK.  Todd, were you a math teacher in
another lifetime?  :)

I never didn't not wish I hadn't been math teacher.

So should there be a Larry P. FAQ for newbies to read, to better understand
Larry's history within the LEGO/LUGNET/RTL community?  I say this only half
tongue-in-cheek.  I wonder if sometimes these problems occur because
someone who doesn't understand another person's background or history jumps
on them or their postings when it isn't always appropriate?

That's an interesting thought........

--Tod