 Off-Topic / Debate / 23368
23367  |  23369
Subject:
Renegade Republicans (was re: To change the tune...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 04:47:04 GMT

   Not at all. I’m just acknowledging that there is a fine line. And those renagade Republicans will be harshly dealt with;-)

G H W “I never met a spending bill I didn’t like” Bush is the renegade Republican, my friend. USD 500B deficits as far as the eye can see, more government, more spending on social welfare programs, more intrusions into people’s private lives, more legislated morality, more war on drugs, more war. No thank you. I may actually have to vote Dem this year... probably not, but I’m pretty underwhelmed by Jr.

What happened to the party of limited government, of states rights?

This isn’t just me gibing.. everyone has noticed it. It made the back page of Time in the 2 Feb issue headlined The Nanny in Chief

“There’s barely a speech by President Bush that doesn’t cite the glories of human freedom. It’s God’s gift to mankind, he believes. And in some ways this President has clearly expanded it: the people of Afghanistan and Iraq enjoy liberties unimaginable only a few years ago. But there’s a strange exception to this Bush doctrine. It ends when you reach America’s shores. Within the U.S., the Bush Administration has shown an unusually hostile attitude toward the exercise of personal freedom. When your individual choices conflict with what the Bush people think is good for you, they have been only too... ”

(I’m not buying the full article, since I get the mag anyway (for free) and if I did I’m definitely not posting it here but you get the tone)

Ah, wait, Andrew has it up on his own site

See also this blog

See also this Opinion Journal piece.

(I don’t know how that meeting came out... but I love this quote “the Republican imperium is starting to show signs of ideological dry rot”)

So if I were you I would not be so smug.

Personally the thought of a President Kerry, having to get his programs through a reinvigorated House that remembers why the voters elected the GOP back to the House while defeating Jr. doesn’t scare me as much as the thought of a President Bush with a cowed House that thinks it’s beholden to Jr for being re-elected.

I can’t believe I just typed that, but there you are. It’s not nearly as good as a Libertarian regime would be, but I like it better when the country is gridlocked than when one of the current parties runs rampant. Or should I say roughshod?