 Off-Topic / Debate / 23366
Re: To change the tune...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 03:07:19 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

   He wouldn’t have used them against us even if he did - all he cared about was grabbing his neighbors oil. He would have been only too happy to be allies with us again (as long as we tolerated his land grabs).

I doubt it. After we back-stabbed him like that? He came to us and asked permission to invade Kuwait. We told him officially, and on the record, that we had no opinion on his minor border dispute. As soon as he committed we mobilized and whacked him. I suspect we weren’t even aiming for Hussein, my guess is that we were trying to decimate his army which, with no Iran to battle, threatened to destabilize the balance in the region.

You’ll have to quote me some source for that sequence of events - it sounds like the Official Saddam Version. And yes, even if that’s the real undisputed sequence (which I’ll bluntly say that I doubt), he’d still do it in a heartbeat.

   As to Bush senior - well, that sums up a lot about Dubya, this is all a personal family vendetta. Maybe America would be better off without any Bush in national office.

I doubt it. I think they’re above that. There’s no money in such a petty attitude.

Above going after a guy who tried to whack his father? Let me simply say I disagree with your judgment. Especially since he goes after the oil at the same time (so, yes, there is money involved, and going after the money is what I would call the petty attitude, but that’s me).

   I think the message of Iraq to existing and future tinpots will go a long way in making the US safer from their aggrandized aspirations.

Hunh? What message? That we’ll tollerate any level of human right violations right up to the point where we see a few dollars in laying the smack down on them? Great!

Ahhhhh, that’s John who said that. You need to respond to him elsewhere or hope he notices.

-->Bruce<--