 Off-Topic / Debate / 23364
Re: To change the tune...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:41:58 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:

   That’s splitting hairs: “Grave and gathering” “Urgent”. Bush is doing the Texas Two-Step.

I disagree in this sense: I believe what Bush meant was that, given time, the inevitable proliferation of WMDs to terrorists by SH was bound to occur, just not “imminently”. If SH already had the weapons, then an attack could have happened at any time and thus have been “imminent”, but he never suggested through intelligence that such an plan was uncovered.

As I said, splitting hairs. The indication was that Saddam had WoMD and was going to either use them himself or hand them out like candy to Islamic extremists (who would only to be happy to use them on Saddam, given half a chance).

   But on the other count, yes, Bush indicated that Saddam was to be removed from power - specifically because of the WoMD. Can’t find any WoMD so now it’s a bait-and-switch affair.

Well, that’s assuming that SH could have been trusted to not pursue them in the future, which wouldn’t have been wise IMO.

He wouldn’t have used them against us even if he did - all he cared about was grabbing his neighbors oil. He would have been only too happy to be allies with us again (as long as we tolerated his land grabs).

   “Any way”? At what point do we become a defender against a threat and switch over to an agressor who IS the threat?

The $64,000 question. I’ll say this-- that point seems to vary along party lines....

A retreat into moral relativism? I’ve seen a growing number of Republicans question Bush on the matter of the war.

   Did Iraq pose a credible threat to the U.S.? Not that I can see. Bush sold this war solely on Iraq being a danger to the United States through “Weapons of Mass Destruction”. He either lied or was incompetent because evidence of such is simply not forthcoming.

This is a great point. The country of Iraq wasn’t the problem. The problem was the person of Saddam Hussein. The proliferation of nukes is only a problem (safety and waste issues aside) when they fall into the hands of crazies.

But since they didn’t have them, what was the point of the war? Even if they had them, I sincerely doubt he would have given them to any organization that he did not control.

   Bush needs to answer for his actions - you don’t see me shrieking about his actions in Afghanistan (I’m sure there are specific ones to shriek about, but overall, we could not allow them to harbor the Al Qaeda network). He thought he had carte blanche to do whatever he wanted in the pursuit of terrorism without having to answer for his actions.

He would be in a lot more hot water if we hadn’t caught SH. I might be convinced to believe in conspiracies if the polls look bad for Bush in late summer and we all of a sudden catch OBL;-)

Oh, I don’t think there is a conspiracy from Bush himself - I don’t think he is that imaginative. I do think he can fool himself with his own rhetoric, however, and there are those within his administration that will bend things to their own personal agenda.

I disagree that he used deception-- I believe he believed the intelligence that SH possessed the WMDs, and he believed (and rightly so IMO) that SH wouldn’t be afraid to use them or give them to someone who would. I mean, the guy had the cheek to try and assassinate Bush senior! Nothing could be assumed with this fruitcake.

I believe he believed what he wanted to believe - intelligence agencies are back-pedaling furiously from what Bush claims they said.

As to Bush senior - well, that sums up a lot about Dubya, this is all a personal family vendetta. Maybe America would be better off without any Bush in national office.

What lies? What deceit? Failed intelligence is neither. It was worth it, and the world is a better place for it.

Failed intelligence is worth it? It means that we cannot go to the world again with any crediblity by citing our intellgence.

We’ll use Israeli intelligence-- it’s better anyway;-)

Yes, but my point still stands: failed intelligence on our part is not worth it, whatever the outcome.

   Lack of trust for deception or incompetence still adds up to lack of trust!

So whom are you blaming? Bush acted as he saw fit based on the intelligence at his disposal. I’d hope any president would have acted in the same way based on the same intelligence.

Truman summed it up: The Buck Stops Here. Who would you have me blame? Last I saw I don’t get to vote for the CIA director - Bush can change him at whim. And even then, this is more an interpretation of the intelligence from within the White House more than the intelligence itself. If the CIA is to blame, then heads should roll. If they aren’t, that should be telling you something (indeed, the source of the interprtation lies at the feet of Bush’s staff).

   How do we get future coopeartion when we falsely yelled “wolf”? How can a democracy make choices when the people who have been elected (ignoring the debatablity of Bush actually being elected by the people) can’t get the truth to the people?

Good questions. And I’ll be sure glad when Bush wins in ‘04 so we can finally put the “elected by the people” quip to rest! :-)

Until then, I get to quip with impunity! :-)

   One of the most important things that we as an electorate need to do is tell Bush - ANY politician - that they darn well better not ask Americans to die for trumped up reasons, be they specific lies or sheer incompetence.

Agreed.

So, you think Bush is going to win but you are voting against him? ;-)

   The world might be a better place, but is the United States the better for it? No, the resources were wasted on a world that does not care, a population that does not appreciate being liberated, and a move that has not made us more secure - this is all nonsense that distracts from Bush’s incompetence in apprehending Osama.

I think the message of Iraq to existing and future tinpots will go a long way in making the US safer from their aggrandized aspirations.

But will we take those actions after the American public becomes further distrustful of those he lead us because of Bush? You talk about party lines, but it isn’t Afghanistan that people are freaked out about. I juxtapose Afghanistan and Iraq as examples of what the American people accept and question. If a president (any president) comes to me and says we need to off Dictator TinPolPot of Republic of Pressia (RePressia for short) are Americans gonna buy it?

If Iraq fails to embrace freedom and democracy, that will be particularily painful and I for one would think twice about embarking on such an adventure again.

But I disagree with you that America is less safe with SH on the sidelines.

I don’t think I said that - but we don’t gain any safety with him on the sidelines, and Islamic Fundamentalists will use it as a recruiting poster, so I do view it as a net loss.

   OBL is a huge prize and his death will go a loooong way to dispirit terrorists worldwide. As I mentioned above, watch out for the late capture of OBL this summer-- Bush’s Ace in the hole? ;-)

Hey, he has the example of his dad peaking too soon - he advocates perpetual war just so he can avoid that! No smiley - I wish I was joking. :-(

-->Bruce<--