 Off-Topic / Debate / 23300
Re: To change the tune...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 2004 00:05:56 GMT

(snipped quotations)

What I thought: nowhere did he ever use the term “imminent”.

   Dubya *wanted* to invade Iraq--pure and simple. It wasn’t the intelligence community that was mistaken, it was the administration.

The meaning of your non-sequitur eludes me. What Bush wanted was Saddam Hussein removed from power, period.

   You can point out that France, Germany, Russia, and everyone else may have thought that Saddam may have had WoMD, but these countries also didn’t go to war--they were letting Blix do the job that he was suppose to do. It wasn’t Saddam who kicked Blix out of the country--it was Dubya.

“Everyone else may have thought that Saddam may have had WMD”??? There was never a doubt in anyone’s mind! They may have thought that he’d never give them to terrorists or never use them, but please! Further, SH was leading Blix around the country like a monkey on a leash. It was a freakin’ game to him.

It is stories like this that scare me:

http://www.fas.org/news/iraq/2000/11/iraq-001102.htm

   No one was turning a ‘bline eye’ to Saddam, no one was giving him a free ticket to develop these non-existant programs.

Certainly not the Israelis, who probably did more to save the world from a nuclear terrorist attack than we did by bombing SH’s nuclear facility Osiraq in ‘81.

   So if there was no war, where would we be today? Instead of the US inspection team coming back after finding nothing, and after the deaths of hundreds of soldiers and thousands of civilians, and the wanton destruction of cities, Blix would have come back after finding nothing, with no deaths or destruction.

Except for the usual, brutal killing of civilians by the 1,000s at the hands of SH’s regime.

Haliburton? Funny you should mention that...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&node=&contentId=A21186-2004Jan15&notFound=true

‘Tis absolutely amazing how every plan that Dubya makes seems to have the potential to send more money into the coffers of that company.

http://www.buzzflash.com/contributors/04/01/con04020.html

Funny that.

And sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, Dr Freud.

   The good news is that we have a splendid opportunity to assist a great nation become democratic and free. God knows what disasterous future we averted by deposing SH-- we can only confront evil when we see it and act accordingly. If nothing else, the example of SH is a beacon of warning to current tin-pot dictators around the world who respect nothing but power-- the stakes are high and we aren’t just whistlin’ Dixie...

Yeah, if you look at the US the wrong way, they’ll come over and ‘kick yer henie’. Good example.

If you look at us the wrong way waving a nuke or other WMD that is...

   “We can only confront evil when we see it and act accordingly”?

What ‘evil’ was there in Iraq in 2003 that you had this overwhelming need to confront? It must’ve been a clear and imminent danger. Where was it? No one can find it. Imagine that.

We found it. It was cowering in a hole. It was Saddam Hussein. Imagine that.

And again you state that getting rid of Saddam was the good thing. And again I will reiterate--since when does the ends justify the means? The means, I may add, which include, but are not limited to, the deaths of thousands of people, the destruction of property, the expenditure of billions of dollars and the lowering of the worlds opionon with regard to the integrity and honour of the US administraition.

What was the cost of the terrorist attack on 9-11? What would be the cost of a nuclear terrorist attack in a major US city?

As I mentioned before, if you want to play the numbers game-- I win, because more Iraqis lost their lives to torture and murder continuously at the hands of SH than died in the war. And look at Iraq today-- emancipated, and full of hope for a bright future. Her only fear being that the US and the world leaves before she can find her feet.

As far as the world popularity contest goes, I hold no illusions. We will be vilified regardless of what we do. Best to do what is right for us, for usually that is best for the world as well anyway.

Spreading Democracy and Freedom are noble tasks, and make the world a better place. BTW, name for me 1 war in the history or the world between 2 Democracies....

JOHN