 Off-Topic / Debate / 23270
Re: To change the tune...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 2004 22:17:48 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:
   I particularly liked “I am not comparing the U.S. to Nazi Germany.”

And then go on to compare the US to Nazi Germany! Huh?

JOHN

Let’s look at the exact wuote then, shall we?(seeing as how it;s right at the end of the article, it’s pretty easy to find...)

“ I am not comparing the U.S. to Nazi Germany.

But one does begin to understand in all this how the Germans, another educated and highly civilized people, were driven in the 1930s by a campaign of fear and lies, into supporting a policy of aggression, religious hatred and racism. ”

One does begin to understand... Lets see, it wasn’t a simile--i don’t see the word ‘like’ in there--the ‘US is like Nazis’, it wasn’t a metaphor, so the word ‘comparison’... hmmm...

It’s a warning. It’s a wake up call. Educated well intended people have been lead astray before by leaders feeding on fear and hatred. Now show me how Dubya’s administration hasn’t been ‘hyping up’ reports and ignoring all evidence to the contrary. Show me how the Americans haven’t bought into the hysteria. Show me how the war in Iraq was justified at all in 2003. Oh wait, you can’t because, as its prone to do, the truth does eventually get out. From the reports from the CIA to the inspectors finding nothing in the desert, to the huge amount of backpedalling the administrations doing right now, and throwing the scent towards the ‘bad intelligence’.

As the article pointed out, the intelligence was there from the agencies--no one of any good intelligence was there to read it in the administration, however. So what is it, as the reporter said--a massive fiasco lead by stupid people in charge, or a corrupt administration twisting to get what they wanted. Those are the only two scenarios that fit the facts.

Hey Occam! Where are you?

Dave K