 Off-Topic / Debate / 23279
Re: To change the tune...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 2004 13:02:13 GMT

By and large, I agree with DaveK's attack on our president.  He lied to us and I
believe, still, that he is a bad man.  But that doesn't change the fact that
Saddam Hussein is also a bad man.  Really bad!  I do believe that the world is a
better place with him gone.  I think that Iraq has a chance to become a better
place now that he's gone.

And while I would have opposed a war on these grounds, I think, it would have
been much better if Bush and friends had simply told us that Hussein is a
constant threat to the human rights of his people and we have the ability to do
something about it (unlike China or North Korea where the same is true) and we
feel that it is our duty to make the world better when and where we can.

The claim that no one was turning a blind eye to Saddam Hussein is silly.  We
were.  We all were.  For thirty years (or whatever).  And either a) shame on us
for not helping the Iraqi people before now or b) it was never our business to
get involved and we never should have.  I see both points.  But we were letting
him get away with amazing human rights violations.  Not only that, but we
compounded the suffering of the Iraqi people through our sanctions.  I still
think we should have assassinated him in '91.

But, if we're goig to give PNTR to China, why not stay in bed with petty,
murderous, torturers like Hussein?  Our hands are bloody either way.

Chris