 Off-Topic / Debate / 22925
Re: Those who cast the votes decide nothing.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:46:54 GMT

   You actually think that the radicals who show up at “peace rallies” are in any way indicative of the sentiments of the silent majority?

All of the denominations you mentioned also oppose the mass killing of innocents at the hands of SH as well. Some just supported the decision to actually do something about it.

It is indeed a noble goal to stop someone from killing innocents, and to this end Dubya should be held accountable for every civilian death in Iraq.

Would that we could compare that number to the number of innocents who would have been executed by SH by now. Chances are the latter would be higher, and thus Bush’s intervention actually saved the lives of innocents in total.

   Further, and this cannot be stated often or loudly enough, the state primary motivation for invading Iraq was that Hussein possessed weapons of mass destruction and that he posed a direct threat to the United States. Whatever happened to those weapons, anyway?

We know that they existed. SH used them on the Kurds. Either he destroyed them (but then why wouldn’t he simply say so and thus averting his own desposition!), or they still exist somewhere. The whole thing makes no sense to me. What other possibilities are there?

   Whether or not we stopped Hussein from killing innocents is, ultimately, beside the point. Our stated goal was to attack Hussein before he could attack us.

And we did that. We will never know what we prevented him from perpetrating on the world, but I honestly wouldn’t want to wait and find out. Take out Hitler in ‘37.

   The fact that Hussein was a brutal dictator was used to justify the pursuit of that stated goal, but it was not, in itself, the goal.

In a way it was, because monsters such as he, with the amount of oil money at his disposal, are a threat to the world by their nature-- ask any Kuwaiti. The guy was a powderkeg (who had a history of blowing up).

   Alternatively, if Dubya’s goal was to oust Hussein because Hussein killed innocent Iraqis, then he lied to the American public, to Congress, to the United Nations, and to the world at large.

It wasn’t the sole stated intent, but a good byproduct.

   As an additional rhetorical note, appeals to “the silent majority” are akin to claiming that we’ve discovered 75% of the oil on Earth. To claim to have determined the will of the silent majority is to render that “majority” non-silent, and in any case I’m not convinced that the silent majority you cite is any more accurately representative than a silent majority I might cite.

My only point to DaveK was that he gleaned the will of Christianity from a few radicals who waved protest signs and attended a peace rally. My reference to the “silent majority” was only in this context-- speaking about everyone else who chose not to attend that little rally about which he spoke.

Thanks to scientific polls, the will of the “silent majority” is knowable, and most Americans favored the intervention to liberate Iraq (as did Congress BTW).

JOHN