 Off-Topic / Debate / 22866
Re: Those who cast the votes decide nothing.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 2003 18:23:21 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott Arthur wrote:

   In the UK, the Left, Right & Centre enjoy a chortle at Bush’s electoral credentials (and his intellectual abilities).

Please. Blair isn’t; he’s a good man. Perhaps the mayor of London is, but he is the biggest ass of a politician there ever was. I’m sure Bush is snickering, too-- all the way to being the most powerful person on earth. Deal.

   From an international PR PoV, Bush has been a disaster for the USA. He has destroyed a great deal of the international respect the USA had.

Respect from whom, Scott? We will do what we believe is in our best interests as a nation. That is usually in the best interests of the world as well, because a strong, free America is good for the world (not to mention a prosperous one as well). We are not intested in pleasing people or countries, but preserving our way of life, namely freedom, and assisting others in achieving that goal as well.

   Har, Har, Bush was selected, not elected. The fact is, however, that Bush’s “selection” was a result of Gore contesting the election. Had not he gone to court, Bush’s election would have stood. That the Supreme Court “selected” Bush is entirely the result of the Democrats. And then they cry that Bush was “selected”, not elected. Whatever.

Wow... but why no mention of the role Bush’s brother played in this story? When you read about that and the other hocus pocus you’ll see that using the term “elected” is a little dubious!

What are you suggesting? That his brother had any illegal influence over the election? Please! You are badly informed. Florida is a non-story. Perhaps you should read less conspiracy literature-- it makes one paranoid (although I will concede that just because you’re not paranoid doesn’t mean that they aren’t our to get you;-)

   I fear you may get a re-run of this story next year come election day:

CEO lobbies for Bush while seeking contract to sell voting machines

“to show that Republicans will truly stop at next to nothing to win elections and hand the keys of the national treasury over to their fat cat donors - there is Walden O?Dell, the CEO of Diebold Inc. Diebold is the company that wants to get the contract to provide and program voting machines in every state for the 2004 election and O’Dell is raising money exclusively for President Bush and the Republican National Committee (RNC). O’Dell, in a fundraising letter on August 14th, committed “to helping Ohio deliver its electoral votes to the president next year” according to the Associated Press. In the 2002 election cycle, O’Dell gave $5,965 to the RNC while Diebold gave the RNC $95,000.”

In the words of Joe Stalin: “Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.

Stalin was a monster and an idiot. What he should have said was, “Those with the biggest guns decide everything”. WRT to Democracy, it should be, “those who don’t vote decide nothing.” As far as allogations of election fraud in 2004-- more conspiracy theories....yawn.

   I hope WC gets the democratic nomination; I hear that the election will be billed as “The General v The Coward” or “The General v Draft Dodger”(1)

Clark is slippery enough on issues to get nominated, but I think it will be Howard Dean. Whichever one wins, he will lose.

JOHN