 Off-Topic / Debate / 22912
Re: Those who cast the votes decide nothing.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 18:49:15 GMT

   You actually think that the radicals who show up at “peace rallies” are in any way indicative of the sentiments of the silent majority?

All of the denominations you mentioned also oppose the mass killing of innocents at the hands of SH as well. Some just supported the decision to actually do something about it.

It is indeed a noble goal to stop someone from killing innocents, and to this end Dubya should be held accountable for every civilian death in Iraq. Further, and this cannot be stated often or loudly enough, the state primary motivation for invading Iraq was that Hussein possessed weapons of mass destruction and that he posed a direct threat to the United States. Whatever happened to those weapons, anyway? As far as I recall, Rumsfeld (in regards to whom I am inspired to use such language as would get me banned from LUGNET) claimed to know exactly where the weapons were. Well, Donny, where are they?

Whether or not we stopped Hussein from killing innocents is, ultimately, beside the point. Our stated goal was to attack Hussein before he could attack us. The fact that Hussein was a brutal dictator was used to justify the pursuit of that stated goal, but it was not, in itself, the goal.

Alternatively, if Dubya’s goal was to oust Hussein because Hussein killed innocent Iraqis, then he lied to the American public, to Congress, to the United Nations, and to the world at large.

As an additional rhetorical note, appeals to “the silent majority” are akin to claiming that we’ve discovered 75% of the oil on Earth. To claim to have determined the will of the silent majority is to render that “majority” non-silent, and in any case I’m not convinced that the silent majority you cite is any more accurately representative than a silent majority I might cite.

Dave!