 Off-Topic / Debate / 1681
Re: WTB Train Parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 02:18:50 GMT

Mike Poindexter <lego@poindexter.cc> wrote:
When one is generosity is described as "being mighty white," it does not mean
that non whites are less generous.  It means that they are giving something to
somebody that is not theirs to begin with.  When you said I could have all the
xyz pieces (I forgot what they were), they were not yours to give in the first
place.  To say that I can have them is to give me something that isn't yours.
That is what it is to be "white."  This probably comes from the history of the
proliferation of the "white man" into other Native American territories
and "giving" the Indians reservations of land that was theirs to begin with.

I just asked my wife what it meant (she is from Tennessee- I am from
California).  Her interpretation is that it is a racial statement.  I think
that the true and original meaning would be mine.  However, over time, it has
come to be a racial insult.  That would most likely appear in the South, as
there is more racial tension there.

I was born and grew for a while in California and grew up to adulthood
in Tennessee.  I've heard people say "mighty white of you" in both
ways you describe.

Any kind of attempt to assign a meaning to a phrase like that is
doomed without context, but of the times *I've* heard it IRL the
meaning has obviously been of the sarcastic "gee, thanks a lot for
giving me X" when X is either something the giver didn't have to give
or had no right to give, or possibly when X was something of no value
to the giver or the receiver.

Don't know that I've ever heard it used IRL in a way that would imply
anything other than scorn for the person being called "mighty white".

--
The pieces you want and nothing else - easy online bidding!
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)