 Off-Topic / Debate / 1680
Re: whiteness (was Re: WTB Train Parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 1 Aug 1999 22:18:46 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> writes:
[...]
1 - and there is a related, and rather fascinating slur: "indian giver"
implying that an indian would give something and then snatch it back. In
all probability the person who first said it had just encountered an
indian who was completely baffled by the idea of ownership... and hence
handed something over to use, then took it back.
[...]

The Lewis and Clark expedition notes talk about this, yes.  Not necessarily
randomly snatching something back, but, say, giving back a gun and taking
back a horse when the gun was no longer needed, or deemed to be of little
value compared to the horse.  This caused many confusions and deaths.

--Todd