 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 2075
Re: WTB Train Parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 1999 12:25:23 GMT

From all my dealings with Larry, he's a great guy and often goes out
of his way to help people here. So I think John's right in that Larry
wouldn't have meant to offend. Plus I agree it is legitimate to make higher
offers
for bricks.

HOWEVER, I do seem to recall an incident a couple of months ago in which
someone butted in on someone elses auction to offer some items at a lower
price. And a big debate about the ethics of this ensued.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the overall verdict
from the debate was that if you were going to do
that sort of thing, decent netiquette suggested that you started your own
thread
rather than taking over someone elses.  It's a grey area admittedly, since I
can also think of a few times where people have posted what looked like rip-off
offers on lugnet and others have (correctly in my opinion) replied to point
this
out

Also, I'm sure it wasn't intended, but the tone of Larry's post
was very overtly competitive.  Yes, it is a free market but at the same time
I'd like
to think we all are friends and try to cooperate and maintain a good
atmosphere.

A bit like - I've outbid lots of people in auctions. There's no problem with
that.
However I suspect if I then sent an email to someone saying 'Naaaaah - I've
outbid you - HAHAHA' most of us would agree that that would be really off.
I can see that Larry's post could be interpreted as reading like that, so I
can
see how Mike would be upset. I think I might have been as well.

btw I don't think it was a reverse auction Larry set up - I thought a reverse
auction was where sellers competed against each other. Larry has effectively
set up a normal auction, except one in which no seller has publically come
forward.

Simon
http://www.SimonRobinson.com

I do not think Larry means to offend.  What he has done is initiate a sort of
reverse auction, thus his follow-up to .auction.  I think by setting prices, • you
have automatically set yourself up to be outbid, especially on these items, • where
I have seen prices in the $10 range.  A simple "WTB, email me" would prolly • serve
you better; then it would become a private transaction.

HTH,
John

Mike Poindexter wrote:

Well, I feel like I have been attacked.
Gray, White - $4.00

5.50 for grey, You can have the whites.

Well, that is mighty white of you.  First off, I can have anything I will
outpay you for.  I will match your bids Larry - across the board.

Second off, this is an offer to buy, not an auction, so please do not send
follow-ups to lugnet.auction.

Third off, your response just seems rude and you have pissed me off.  For • you
to come out like that just strikes me as a jerk thing to do, perhaps I
misjudge, perhaps I don't.  Either way, I will revise my offer to the
following:

Train Doors with glass:
Black, Red, White - $3.00
Blue, Yellow, Gray - $4.25

1x4x3 Train Windows with glass:
White, Black, Red, - $4.00
Yellow - $4.50
Gray, Blue - $5.50

1x2x3 Train Windows with glass:
Gray, Black, Red, Yellow - $4.00
Blue - $5.00

Train Glass, lg./sm. in clear/trans. lt. blue - $1.25

Train Wagon Plates:
6x28 Plates in Black $5.00 or Gray - $6.00
6x24 Plates in Black - $4.00
6x34(?) Sunken Wagon Plates in black - $7.00, yellow - $4.00 or Gray $10.00

I may also be interested in other train parts (4.5v, 9v, 12v) not listed • here,
so feel free to ask if you have some train parts you are not using.

Contact:  lego@poindexter.cc

Thank you,
Mike