 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1902
Re: IBM chooses Mega-Blocks over Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 20:08:55 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Robin Harbron wrote:
A small box arrived in the mail at work today from IBM.  Inside was a small
package of Mega-Bloks, and just about no explanation as to why they were
included, apart from the statement "IBM has what you need to build a Resilient
Infrastructure".

I find this funny on a couple fronts: In the early days of PCs, IBM computers
were considered the "real thing" while all others were clones.  Why would IBM
choose a clone brick?  I hardly think of Mega-Bloks as more "resilient" than
Lego :)

Also, IBM very recently won a huge contract to provide TLC with computer
services - this is a bit of a back-stab, isn't it? :)

IMO, I find bricks (regardless of brand) to be a poor choice for portraying
"resilient."  Brick models frequently are fragile and some shatter to pieces
when dropped.  They can be frustrating to rebuild.  Hardly "resilient" in my
book.  Would you want an infrastructure that crumbles under pressure?

The bricks themselves may be resilient (I'm finally taking back some of my
childhood bricks, and only found them to be dusty).  But that may not mean the
structure is.  And vice versa:  glass fibers are rather poor at resisting
fracture, and epoxy is soft, but the combination makes for a lightweight
structural composite that is resistant to fracture (more so than the fiber or
epoxy by themselves).

Now if they said "adaptable" or "infinitely configurable," bricks are an
excellent portrayal of these ideas.  Just not "resilient."

John