 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1940
Re: IBM chooses Mega-Blocks over Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 19:04:21 GMT

I prefer Lego over MegaBlocks (however you spell it)

(see what I mean?)

This was me making a bit of a dig.  It was in reference to an earlier post.

I won't argue that MB :) are getting better and that I have picked up sets and
seriously considered buying.  I understand the draw of a set heavy with light
grey 2x4 bricks for half the cost of Lego.  Its just they aren't the same.

MB have improved the marketing and we have see instances where Lego has copied
MB ideas (namely the sports sets) where previously MB had strictly copied Lego.

I think MB would have a better reception from Lego-ists if they had done there
own thing from the beginning instead of copying MB.  They might have been seen
as less of a clone.  Maybe.

MB would do good to produce classic town sets that Lego for whatever reason
refuses to redo.  I would imagine the cost to produce a set loaded with 2x4
brick is the limiting factor.  An area where MB would have an edge up.

I also like the new stone/castle bricks.  The ones with the rounded edges.   Very cool.  I don't own any but I have seen sets that others have purchased.

Mike (Yes, MK-Ultra71)