 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1918
Re: IBM chooses Mega-Blocks over Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 19:40:50 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Mark Papenfuss wrote:

   If you haven’t bought, played with, and understood from the inside the utility of a recent MB set, then yours is not a considered opinion.

Wrong. I am entitled to my opinion even if I had never even seen a MegaWhatever in person, now thats not the case, but even if it was I would still be free to have an opinion about them.

Richard isn’t claiming that you have no right to opinion. He is instead pointing out that, without evidence to the contrary, your view cannot be a considered opinion except on pure faith. Until you demonstrate some knowledge of the brand that you decry, or at least some experience with it, commensurate with the acidity with which you reject it, then yours is not a considered opinion. You’re still entitled to that opinion, but you are not entitled to have that opinion considered in a discussion of the subject.

And while we’re at it, you’d be hard pressed to find someone on LUGNET more willing to defend your right to your own opinion than Hop-Frog, as he’s demonstrated in numerous debates. However, he recognizes that special-focus posting groups are intended generally for the fans of that specific focus, such as lugnet.trains or lugnet.space. If you were to go into either of those forums and complain raucously about the inherent shortcomings of those lines, then I expect I’d be invited to exit the forum.

   LOL - if *anybody* here has an “unhealthy obsession with product branding” it is you Richard. Was it not you that called everybody who does not like MB “idiots”?

Not in any post that I’ve read. Instead, Richard has taken issue with idealogue purists who reject any non-LEGO product simply because it’s not LEGO. Some of us who enjoy the merits of clone-brands recognize (rightly) that MEGABLOKS has in recent years adhered more closely to the original ideals of the LEGO brand than LEGO itself has done. That, alone, makes MEGABLOKS a worthy brand, as far as I’m concerned.

Obviously, you’re free to disagree, but if you go out of your way to enter the forum only to gripe about the forum’s subject, then you’re trolling.

   You know I love it when ignorant people like yourself who know 0 about my experiences in any way try to talk and act like they do. You do not know me, you do not know item 1 about me - so for you to go off half-cocked and make all these wrong, ignorant, baseless, and out of line comments is just funny to me.

Here are a few of the things I know about you:

1. You have been posting to LUGNET, rec.toys.lego, and alt.toys.lego for several years, and you’ve been a LUGNET member since June 3, 2002.

2. You haven’t posted to the clone-brands posting group prior to the past few days.

3. You do not seem opposed to clone-brands in principle, but you do seem particularly to dislike MEGABLOKS for some reason, though you still defend their place in the market.

4. You have demonstrated no real knowledge of the brand you choose to decry, as is evident from your misspelling of the brand name.

5. You have not previously demonstrated any particular knowledge of the MEGABLOKS brand, and you are in essence asking us to take on faith your expertise regarding the brand and its quality.

6. You seem to suspect that MEGABLOK spies lurk on LUGNET to pilfer new product ideas.

7. You are quick to leap into full-blown aggressive defense after voicing a few petty insults to the brand of which you claim expertise. This, too, seems much like trolling.

8. You seem to enjoy making ambiguous statements and then refusing to clarify your opinions, thereby hiding from any potential dissenting opinion.

9. You’re fond of Bionicle, which arguably diverges more sharply from the original LEGO ideal than MEGABLOKS ever has.

   But before I go, keep in mind I never said I did not like MegaBloks - you will not find a post from me saying that, so you may want to re-think your stance here.

I may be wrong, but I can’t recall the post in which Richard accused you of not liking MEGABLOKS. Could you point me to that posting?

   P.S. Why do you think they make this forum a default skip-filter forum? Think about that, I don’t care if you respond or not (I am sure you will spout something off though).

Why do they make admin.general a default skip-filter forum? What’s your point?

Dave!