 Off-Topic / Clone Brands / 1938
Re: IBM chooses Mega-Blocks over Lego
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 17:20:19 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands, Mike Kollross wrote:
If you were at a Coke party, for Coke drinkers, planned by Coke drinkers you
would most certainly be asked to leave.  Would  that surprise you or would
you refuse to leave and instead spout the virtues of Pepsi to people who are
clearly Coke drinkers?

  But if that Coke party (which I would happily attend, being a decades-long fan
of that brand) billed itself as "The Friendliest Beverage Party Around,' then it
might be a trifle off-putting if many of those Coke-fans expressed ovewhelming
disgust at a brand with which they had no (or limited) familiarity.  That's how
it sometimes seems to go here on LUGNET:  there's a kneejerk "Clones stink 'nuff
said" attitude that sometimes comes through, and it can make clone-fans a little
uneasy, especially if the negativity is perceived as baseless or gratuitous.
Many of the complainers, in fact, can't even seem to figure out how to spell the
name of the brand they revile.  To a fan of That Other Brand, this can seem
slightly petty.

I prefer Lego over MegaBlocks (however you spell it)

(see what I mean?)

because Lego is of a
superior quality and you cannot realistically argue that they are not.

No one's suggesting that MEGABLOKS exceeds LEGO for brick quality, but I would
certainly argue that, in recent years, MEGABLOKS designs are superior to most of
LEGO's designs.  And I've also said previously that the difference between the
quality of LEGO ABS vs. MEGABLOKS styrene is smaller than the difference between
LEGO piece:price value and MEGABLOKS piece:price value.

     Dave!