 MediaWatch / 1312
Re: While You Were Out on TLC ("LEGOS")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 23:27:47 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, David Koudys wrote:

   I do endeavour to say ‘lego bricks’ in conversations. And when I write about my chosen hobby, I try to write “LEGO Bricks” when referring the bricks themselves. To be said, though, I do write or say ‘My LEGO creation’ instead of ‘My LEGO brick creation’.

You know, I hardly ever use Lego bricks. I more frequently use plates and clips and brackets and windows and wheels and slopes etc. ;) But I guess that’s more to do with the nature of building space models.

While were being anal retentive, I’m not particularly fond of the term ‘moc’ either. It leads to some odd grammar when the acronym is expanded. eg. ‘have a look at this moc’ meaning ‘have a look at this my own creation’ - it doesn’t scan. And the use of ‘my moc’ is up there with ATM machine and PIN number. I do sometimes use ‘moc’ for convention’s sake, but generally I just refer to them as models.

   Sometimes I miss, but I usually get it most of the time. It shows, for me, appreciation for the product and company, and have appreciated for 36ish years of my life.

My appreciation for the product almost borders on awe for an extremely cunningly designed system of interconnecting parts. I am frequently amazed how no matter what bizzare arrangement of parts I attempt, the system always allows me some way to achieve it, all based around a few simple geometric ratios. It’s a quality product without a doubt, and I have the greatest respect for the people that designed it.

The company itself I could take or leave. They are merely another multinational corporation trying to get a share of my money - not that there’s anything wrong with that. I do respect the fact that they have remained family owned all this time - I shudder to think what would happen if they decided to lumber themselves with the curse of shareholders. I certainly don’t feel I ‘owe’ them anything such as appreciation or support or my undying devotion and brand loyalty. My reasons for spending money on Lego are purely selfish. My preference for Lego over other brands is merely a recognition of quality and a desire to have only the best - again, purely selfish.

However, I prefer not to let corporations, or governments or anyone else for that matter, place restricitons on how I engage in private conversation either in person or over the net. Words have a use only as far as communicating ideas, so if people want to use the term ‘Legos’ it’s not something I’m going to correct them on - I know what they mean, and that’s the most important thing. Besides, how do you correct someone on that without sounding like some sort of anal retentive geekoid fanboy?

   There is no financial gain, no worldy gain that I can think of, other than to show my support for TLC.

And I’m sure their appreciation for your support comes up in every board meeting. ;)

Cheers,

Allister