 MediaWatch / 1310
Re: While You Were Out on TLC ("LEGOS")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 20:09:56 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Bruce Schlickbernd wrote:
   In lugnet.mediawatch, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

I’m NEVER going to say “Lego brand building elements” in casual converstaion(beyond noting it as I just did).

I don’t say that either, but I frequently say just “bricks”. Or “I build with LEGO bricks.”

   A couple of other examples: I am NOT going to say “Scrabble brand word game”, I’m just going to say “Scrabble”; I am not going to say AD&D™ because D&D was a name the fans gave it. I understand TSR (at the time) wanting to protect themselves, and have no problem with it, but I’m just not going to slap the ™ everywhere unless it is a formal setting. Besides, my copy of D&D does NOT have either an AD&D or a ™ appended to the same.

Ahh... well I can’t see those as good analogies, because TSR owned D&D at the time, you’d never said “let’s play TSR!” And Scrabble is a game owned by Hasbro, but no one says lets go play with Hasbro. It’s a company name. LEGO is a company name. They just so happen to be best know for one product type. Building blocks. And since it is an interchangeable system, each product gets lumped together. If Hasbro only produced games and each game was part of a system, one might actually say “Lets go play Hasbro”. But they aren’t so we call each product by it’s name, not the company name.

Jason Spears | BrickCentral | MichLUG