 MediaWatch / 1302
Re: While You Were Out on TLC ("LEGOS")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 2003 01:13:16 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.mediawatch, David Gregory wrote:
    I've never really understood why AFOL's get upset when people say "LEGOS"
instead of "LEGO".  Yes, I know that LEGO is the brand name and not the name of
the pieces.  It's just that LEGO seems to strive to enrich kids' childhoods and
to bring out the inner children of adults.  It's about playing with the coolest
toy in the world and getting to still be a kid, no matter how old you are.
    To pluralize the word "LEGO" into "LEGOS" is just what kids do, because in
English it's natural to tack on an S to a proper noun to make it plural
(Kleenexes, Band Aids, etc.).

{ "Natural" == "Correct" } == FALSE

Telling people to say LEGO without the S is like
telling someone to call their "toothbrush" a "teethbrush", because you use it on
all your teeth, not just one tooth.  It might make technical sense, but you're
being an ol' fuddy duddy.
    I love LEGOS.  LEGOS let the kid in me create and have a lot of fun, so I'm
going to keep saying "LEGOS" 'til I die, 'cause part of me is always going to be
a kid.
    David "Fuzzy" Gregory

Saying LEGOS  (instead of LEGO brand building elements) shows lack of respect
for the brand and the concept.

Most mundanes could care less about the distinction (but not much less (1) ).

Pointing it out may make me seem like a fuddy duddy but if I get instant
dismissal, I tend to view that particular mundane (if it's an adult) as less
likely to be sympathetic to my interest, rightly or wrongly... and thus, for me,
it's a quick way to tell who's seriously interested and who isn't worth taking
the time to explain stuff in much depth because they're more likely to ridicule
my interests instead of enjoy my creations.

Not a perfect metric, but there you are.

1 - and if you get that joke it's a sign that you understand precision in spoken
language enough to actually understand why saying "LEGOS" is wrong, or at least
not right. I don't blow my nose in a Kleenex nor do I keep boxes of Kleenexes
around the house...  even though Kleenex is my favorite brand of disposable
tissue. ... LEGOS being incorrect usage is not a plural issue, it's a trademark
issue.

Well, not to split hairs any more than we have to....but isn't AFOL's amisguided
plural as well? Sure, AFOL= Adult Fan Of Lego....it may be too difficult to
split the acronym, but, technically speaking, AFOL's == Adult Fans Of Lego.
8---)

Mike