 MediaWatch / 1303
Re: While You Were Out on TLC ("LEGOS")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Mon, 22 Dec 2003 02:54:56 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, David Gregory wrote:
    I've never really understood why AFOL's get upset when people say "LEGOS"
instead of "LEGO".  Yes, I know that LEGO is the brand name and not the name of
the pieces.  It's just that LEGO seems to strive to enrich kids' childhoods and
to bring out the inner children of adults.  It's about playing with the coolest
toy in the world and getting to still be a kid, no matter how old you are.
    To pluralize the word "LEGO" into "LEGOS" is just what kids do, because in
English it's natural to tack on an S to a proper noun to make it plural
(Kleenexes, Band Aids, etc.).  Telling people to say LEGO without the S is like
telling someone to call their "toothbrush" a "teethbrush", because you use it on
all your teeth, not just one tooth.  It might make technical sense, but you're
being an ol' fuddy duddy.

Not being a fuddy duddy...take your Marketing 101.  When a brand name is repeated several times, the brand name tends to be associated with any product that is similar (i.e. the term "Xerox"...Xerox made the first copy machine...so instead of "making copies" the term "go make a Xerox of this" was popular--enter competitors copy machines...the term "make a Xerox" still stands.   Well, then any creates an association of the "make a Xerox" term to any copy machine, and assumes the copier is a Xerox, when in fact it isn't.

Now, what if the competition has an inferior product? That association to Xerox
on non-Xerox product causes a person to think Xerox is bad...

Same story with Kleenex...what do most people call no-brand Kleenex?
yup..."Kleenex"...

Sound like "Lego" as compared with any other competing brand out there?  Ok, so
no company out there is named "Legos", but the concept of the idea stands.  I
can't tell you how many times people come into the Lego store looking for the
Submarine and Aircraft Carrier made of Lego...or the Harley Davidson, etc... By
keeping the name "LEGO" intact, it helps to cement the brand name.

by saying "LEGOS". you are simply detracting from the name "LEGO".  I used to
call Lego as "Legos" from time to time many years ago, but then I did two
things: 1) read that little blurb on the back of the Lego catalogs from the
early to mid 80's with Lego requesting to keep the name as "Lego", and 2)
Marketing 101 class....

Scott Lyttle