 MediaWatch / 1299
Re: While You Were Out on TLC ("LEGOS")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Sun, 21 Dec 2003 21:44:27 GMT

In lugnet.mediawatch, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

“Natural” == “Correct” == FALSE

Saying LEGOS (instead of LEGO brand building elements) shows lack of respect for the brand and the concept.

Most mundanes could care less about the distinction (but not much less (1) ).

Dang, I was so ready to pounce until I got to the end of the sentence.

Pointing it out may make me seem like a fuddy duddy but if I get instant dismissal, I tend to view that particular mundane (if it’s an adult) as less likely to be sympathetic to my interest, rightly or wrongly... and thus, for me, it’s a quick way to tell who’s seriously interested and who isn’t worth taking the time to explain stuff in much depth because they’re more likely to ridicule my interests instead of enjoy my creations.

Not a perfect metric, but there you are.

And whether or not you agree with Lar, the fact is that you are judged by your choice of words. It’s similar to insisting on speaking a vernacular other than Standard English at a job interview. Speak whatever the heck you want because of cultural pride or whatever, but you may not be hired if you cannot or will not conform to the standard. Like it or not, some people here take those who pluralize “LEGO” less seriously (2).

Not a perfect analogy, but there you are.

   1 - and if you get that joke it’s a sign that you understand precision in spoken language enough to actually understand why saying “LEGOS” is wrong, or at least not right. I don’t blow my nose in a Kleenex nor do I keep boxes of Kleenexes around the house... even though Kleenex is my favorite brand of disposable tissue. ... LEGOS being incorrect usage is not a plural issue, it’s a trademark issue.

2 - I’m not quite as militant as Lar on the LEGO v. LEGOs issue, but some things do bother me more than they do other people-- I mean, why can’t we elect (3) a president who can pronounce the word “nuclear”?

3 - I know, I know-- some people would have a problem with my using the word “elect”, but that belongs in ot.debate.