 MediaWatch / 1296
Re: While You Were Out on TLC ("LEGOS")
Newsgroups:
lugnet.mediawatch
Date:
Sun, 21 Dec 2003 01:10:26 GMT

    I've never really understood why AFOL's get upset when people say "LEGOS"
instead of "LEGO".  Yes, I know that LEGO is the brand name and not the name of
the pieces.  It's just that LEGO seems to strive to enrich kids' childhoods and
to bring out the inner children of adults.  It's about playing with the coolest
toy in the world and getting to still be a kid, no matter how old you are.
    To pluralize the word "LEGO" into "LEGOS" is just what kids do, because in
English it's natural to tack on an S to a proper noun to make it plural
(Kleenexes, Band Aids, etc.).  Telling people to say LEGO without the S is like
telling someone to call their "toothbrush" a "teethbrush", because you use it on
all your teeth, not just one tooth.  It might make technical sense, but you're
being an ol' fuddy duddy.
    I love LEGOS.  LEGOS let the kid in me create and have a lot of fun, so I'm
going to keep saying "LEGOS" 'til I die, 'cause part of me is always going to be
a kid.
    David "Fuzzy" Gregory