 MediaWatch / 1276
  While You Were Out on TLC

A friend mentioned she saw this on TLC's website: While You Were Out Deerfield: The Blue Room Beth is crazy about Legos, an obsession that has managed to take over her whole home to the annoyance of husband Jay. She is willing to have their living (...) (21 years ago, 14-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC

(...) I tried to post multiple times about this last night but kept getting denied by the news server for some reason. There's a commercial for this episode of "While You Were Out" currently running on TLC so if you watch that network at all you'll (...) (21 years ago, 14-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general)

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC

(...) LEGOS? To quote Christina Hitchcock at BF 2003... "who just cringed when he said LEGOS?" -Scott (21 years ago, 15-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC

(...) It looks like an interesting episode, in the commercial it shows how the renovation crew kinda destroyed some of her funiture. Hopefully I'll get home to watch it while I'm on Vacation. (21 years ago, 17-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC

(...) Well, she's member 1969. Maybe she's the quite type (who doesn't mind being on national TV), and needs some encouragement to post her creations (at least the ones that weren't dropped). We'll get to see them friday night anyway. Thug (21 years ago, 18-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC

(...) My question now, after having seen this travesty, is, "Ok, what is she doing with the LEGO now?" The participants alternately referred to the product as 'legos' and 'lego', but now, it seems after basically trashing the LEGO (it mostly wound (...) (21 years ago, 20-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC

(...) My wife and I watched the show last night. Everytime someone said "LEGOs" my wife just about chucked the remote at the TV. It's not even something that I've discussed with her, but it just really bothered her to hear people say that. Then, we (...) (21 years ago, 20-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general)

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC

(...) No, her lego room was clearly shown to be in the basement. That living room wasn't a build room, it was a display room. Big difference. She does all her building in the basement where she had all of her basic brick storage tubs, I suspect. (...) (21 years ago, 20-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC

(...) [snip] (...) Actually, my wife thought that the carpenter and the woman who broke the red bookcase (I don't normally watch this show) seemed to actually understand the labor that probably went into the construction. The designer clearly (...) (21 years ago, 20-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.general)

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC

Snippage... What I saw of the episode was that she was very nervous about the whole thing. Obviously she thought that the Lego creations were a little overwhelming for her husband, so she wanted to do a non-Lego room for him. Fair enough I say. As a (...) (21 years ago, 20-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC

(...) From the While You Were Out message board (written by LegoBeth): "I love LEGO! I am now rebuilding the LEGO room in a better location - the room with the LEGO fireplace! Anyway, nobody is allowed in "Jay's" Blue Room, except the digital cable (...) (21 years ago, 20-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC

(...) No, just to the cold, cold basement. 8--) It seems odder that the first thing the husband asked upon his return was 'what happened to the big lego head?' I found this rather funny, but maybe he liked it most because it was all one piece, and (...) (21 years ago, 20-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC ("LEGOS")

I've never really understood why AFOL's get upset when people say "LEGOS" instead of "LEGO". Yes, I know that LEGO is the brand name and not the name of the pieces. It's just that LEGO seems to strive to enrich kids' childhoods and to bring out the (...) (21 years ago, 21-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC ("LEGOS")

(...) If it makes you feel better, I hated it as a kid too. :) I had a friend who used the improper plural and it sounded just as wrong back then as it does today. (...) But then why bother teaching kids anything? For example, why bother sharing the (...) (21 years ago, 21-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC ("LEGOS")

(...) { "Natural" == "Correct" } == FALSE (...) Saying LEGOS (instead of LEGO brand building elements) shows lack of respect for the brand and the concept. Most mundanes could care less about the distinction (but not much less (1) ). Pointing it out (...) (21 years ago, 21-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC ("LEGOS")

(...) Dang, I was so ready to pounce until I got to the end of the sentence. (...) And whether or not you agree with Lar, the fact is that you are judged by your choice of words. It's similar to insisting on speaking a vernacular other than Standard (...) (21 years ago, 21-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC ("LEGOS")

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC ("LEGOS")

(...) LOL yeah at least Clint pronounced every word correctly when he threatened people with "...a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off...". Even if he does have a funny accent. Punk. Clint Eastwood (...) (21 years ago, 21-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC ("LEGOS")

(...) Well, not to split hairs any more than we have to....but isn't AFOL's amisguided plural as well? Sure, AFOL= Adult Fan Of Lego....it may be too difficult to split the acronym, but, technically speaking, AFOL's == Adult Fans Of Lego. 8---) Mike (21 years ago, 22-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC ("LEGOS")

(...) Not being a fuddy duddy...take your Marketing 101. When a brand name is repeated several times, the brand name tends to be associated with any product that is similar (i.e. the term "Xerox"...Xerox made the first copy machine...so instead of (...) (21 years ago, 22-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC ("LEGOS")

(...) Not militant, merely persnickety. One's bad, the other's a charming quirk. See how that works? :-) (...) He was mayor of Carmel CA (I think it was Carmel, I know it was somewhere in CA), so he has a little experience. Also he's made vaguely (...) (21 years ago, 22-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch, lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC

(...) I was waiting for this to come up. I know I have disappeared to all but a lurker this last year (I was one of the top 50 noisemakers of 2002) but I still read. Some know I co-run (URL) BrickBros>, which nicely complitments my hobby. Anyway, (...) (21 years ago, 22-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC

I would like to say a few words about a couple of things in this thread. I think the push to not use the word "LEGOS" comes directly from old catalogs from the 1970s and 80s. They use to have a paragraph at the end of the last page from Susan (...) (21 years ago, 22-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: Dirty Harry is a Libertarian (was: While You Were Out)

(...) It's (URL) all there> at the LP site. He explains the philosophy in simple terms: "Everyone leaves everyone else alone." And: "At Waco, was there really an urgency to get those people out of the compound at that particular time? Was the press (...) (21 years ago, 22-Dec-03, to lugnet.off-topic.debate, FTX)

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC ("LEGOS")

(...) I'm NEVER going to say "Lego brand building elements" in casual converstaion(beyond noting it as I just did). What the company has to do legally and what some anal-retentive lawyer thinks I must do when talking about it are two different (...) (21 years ago, 23-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC

(...) There are two carpenters on that show, one of whom is female. There is no "other girl." I think that the host and decorator handled it pretty well, since it was clear this was probably the first time either of them had met an AFOL. Besides, (...) (21 years ago, 23-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC ("LEGOS")

(...) I don't say that either, but I frequently say just "bricks". Or "I build with LEGO bricks." (...) Ahh... well I can't see those as good analogies, because TSR owned D&D at the time, you'd never said "let's play TSR!" And Scrabble is a game (...) (21 years ago, 23-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC ("LEGOS")

(...) <snip> I do endeavour to say 'lego bricks' in conversations. And when I write about my chosen hobby, I try to write "LEGO Bricks" when referring the bricks themselves. To be said, though, I do write or say 'My LEGO creation' instead of 'My (...) (21 years ago, 23-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC ("LEGOS")

(...) You know, I hardly ever use Lego bricks. I more frequently use plates and clips and brackets and windows and wheels and slopes etc. ;) But I guess that's more to do with the nature of building space models. While were being anal retentive, I'm (...) (21 years ago, 23-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch, FTX)

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC ("LEGOS")

(...) Yeah, but why do you care? Well, Scott, since you work for Lego retail, that's another issue, but for most people, standing up for someone else's marketing/branding program is silly. I honestly don't care if someone uses the term "Legos". (...) (21 years ago, 30-Dec-03, to lugnet.mediawatch)

  Re: While You Were Out on TLC

This episode was on again tonight. I got a lot of neat ideas watching it (ideas from Beth's creations, not from the redesigned room). My wife thought that the live plants with bricks in the water looked cool, so we might have to do that ourselves. (...) (20 years ago, 20-Jan-04, to lugnet.mediawatch)