 Marketplace / Theory / 1837
Re: This makes me SICK!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 04:20:54 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.market.auction, Ben Gatelle writes:
What I do not like is people who put incorrect or misleading information in
the auction listings.

Hear hear!

The example of the person selling the battledroids for
$20 is misleading because buyers can get the item from several stores
including all LICs, and the LEGOLAND store, IIRC.

Hmm... I guess I don't see it as all that misleading-- That's just something
where I'd say 'Let the buyer beware'...

It is misleading in that the seller said this is not sold in stores, or
something to that effect which is clearly no true.

Look at an auction I
currently have running for the McD catalog promo from last year.
<http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=536355278>
As far as I know these are still available from S@H for $9.99 which was my
starting bid. (It is currently up to $15.50).  Looking at it now I see where
I said this is an exclusive "S@H" set which an uneducated LEGO buyer
wouldn't understand. Next time I will say "LEGO Shop at Home Service" but I
will not list their web address or phone number.

Hmm... From your example, I'd assume that you think it's ok to START an
auction at its retail cost (or maybe *slightly* above?), but just so long as
that initial bid is within reason of the retail cost it's ok, whereas if the
starting bid is too high, it misleads people into thinking they're getting
more value than they actually are?

I have had auctions run 1 or 2 weeks in a row with no one meeting the
minimum bid, and then the third time around sell for double the opening bid.
In other words, if I choose to auction something with an opening bid of
retail price, I may have one person bid on it. He gets it for retail. If
someone else bids it up, I have no problem with selling it for more than
retail, especially in my example auction, where I specify the item is a
$9.99 retail priced item... Also someone in another country may be bidding
on an auction, and he may not be able to get this directly from S@H or
Wal-Mart, or some web site that won't ship overseas. He is paying more than
retail because he can't get it at retail.

If the buyer is willing to pay for it I have no problem selling it.

I guess the real question is do you have a problem with OTHER people selling
it if the buyer is still willing to pay the price? If not, maybe I'm
misunderstanding your example...

You understood correctly. As long as the seller is not outright lying in his
description or intentionally misleading the buyer, I have no problem with it
selling for what the market will bear.

Bruce Williams (radio advice guy) once said something to the effect that "A
fair price is one at which a buyer is willing and able to pay and the seller
is willing to sell."

But on the other hand, I don't like the militant anti-profit attitude of
some LUGNETers who want to sabotage sellers because they're trying to sell
something that a buyer can get elsewhere for less.

Agreed to some extent. I don't mind BEING anti-profit, but ACTING
anti-profit (purposefully telling buyers where they can get it for cheaper,
etc) is too extreme in my opinion... especially if it's against Ebay's rules
or is actually illegal.

Yes, we agree on this 100%. It is the acting not the being.
BEN GATRELLE
(My 2 cents worth, if it's worth that.)

What was the original retail price? :)

1.5 cents