 Marketplace / Auctions / 7508
Re: This makes me SICK!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 15:20:23 GMT

DaveE and Bryan Wong (1) together have it backwards.

Putting information in the listing about where to get it cheaper *is*
against the eBay TOS.  Example provided by DaveE (quoted below).

Offering the same item for less than someone else *is not*
against the eBay TOS.  (This type of "interference" is
competition.)

However: the $9.99 information auction is already against the
eBay TOS, so the $0.02 auction would also be.
The following is forbidden:
   "Offering in a listing the opportunity to purchase
    the item or other merchandise outside of eBay. "
Furthermore, in my opinion, this is conceptually the same as a catalog sale,
which is listed separately:
   "listings of catalogs from which buyers may directly
    order items are prohibited. "

(1) Unless Bryan thought Chris
meant to send the info to the original eBay seller.
I think Chris meant to send the information to the bidders
in the new $0.02 auction.

David Eaton wrote:

In lugnet.market.auction, Bryan Wong writes:
Chris Crawford wrote:
Pure speculation on my part. Hey, why not put up your own auction for $0.02
and send the info to all bidders? Not sure if this is against eBay TOS or
not.

Yes, I think that's against the eBay TOS cuz it's "interefering" with his
auction.

If it were done right, I imagine that it wouldn't violate the TOS...
Something along the lines of:

--------
STARTING PRICE: $500

I bought this Silver Champion on www.walmart.com for $75 (plus 5.95
shipping) and this Railway Express on www.walmart.com for $55 (plus 5.95
shipping). There's still some quantity left at at walmart.com, but
meanwhile, you can buy mine if you don't want to buy from them.
-------

It'd look stupid on your part (and you wouldn't get any bids), but I don't
think it would violate the TOS, unless you claimed that you only posted it
to discredit an existing auction.

DaveE