 Marketplace / Auctions / 7525
Re: This makes me SICK!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 19:08:38 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Kevin Wilson writes:
Eric McCarthy wrote in message <3A5B9390.3A434438@reasoning.com>...
I think a good approach to disseminating this sort of information
would be to put together a FAQ and then have lots of $0.27 information
auctions for it.  Does anyone feel strongly enough to organize it?

Maybe adding a few things to the Buying Lego FAQ would do the trick, then
everyody link to it. My auctions now all link to it. If all the lugnetters
who sell on eBay linked to it, most of the newbie buyers would see it.

I'm not sure where I come in on this whole issue.  On the one hand, let the
buyer beware is true and if someone is content to pay $120 for a $170 retail
set, they are "saving" $50 regardless of how much more they could have saved
buying it from elsewhere.  If these people are willing to pay $10 for the
information on how to get something and save a lot more than the $10
investment, why prevent them.  If buyers are not web savvy enough (or too
lazy) to find the best deal on their own, what's wrong with them paying
someone to find the best deal for them.

What I do not like is people who put incorrect or misleading information in
the auction listings. The example of the person selling the battledroids for
$20 is misleading because buyers can get the item from several stores
including all LICs, and the LEGOLAND store, IIRC. Look at an auction I
currently have running for the McD catalog promo from last year.
<http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=536355278>
As far as I know these are still available from S@H for $9.99 which was my
starting bid. (It is currently up to $15.50).  Looking at it now I see where
I said this is an exclusive "S@H" set which an uneducated LEGO buyer
wouldn't understand. Next time I will say "LEGO Shop at Home Service" but I
will not list their web address or phone number.

If the buyer is willing to pay for it I have no problem selling it.  I try
to be honest in all of my auction dealings both as a seller and buyer.

If someone else wanted to "sell" the same info as this guy for $1, go ahead,
it is competition. This is what eBay is about.  I would say go ahead and
include the info in your item description too as long as it isn't against
the T&C for eBay, as previously mentioned.

But on the other hand, I don't like the militant anti-profit attitude of
some LUGNETers who want to sabotage sellers because they're trying to sell
something that a buyer can get elsewhere for less.

BEN GATRELLE
(My 2 cents worth, if it's worth that.)