 Marketplace / Theory / 1830
Re: This makes me SICK!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 21:00:28 GMT

In lugnet.market.theory, Mark Hollingsworth writes:
When you posted about the $9.99 information auction being against the eBay
TOS, you copied the following: "Offering in a listing the opportunity to
purchase the item or other merchandise outside of eBay."  Can you please be
more specific about the rule breaking.  I have trouble relating the section
you quoted to any violation on my auction.

Well, as far as how your auction breaks such a rule, I'd say the 'listing'
that you were selling was 'the opportunity to purchase other merchandise
outside of ebay'. Is it really the 'opportunity'? Arguable. However,
elsewhere you say that the actual quote was not only misused but actually
incorrect? I didn't find the quote, so I can't say... perhaps Charles can
provide the source for the quote? (He's the one who posted it initially, I
think.)

I would also like you to list your credentials, because I think you are not
a lawyer, although you like to play one on Lugnet.

Just an aside-- it doesn't matter whether we're lawyers or not. All that
matters is Ebay's decision. And they don't have to use lawyers either if
they don't want to. But they probably do. What matters here is that we THINK
it violates Ebay's TOS, and that we notify them of a possible violation. And
unfortunately, since they weren't more clear in why the auction DOESN'T
violate their TOS, we're forced to speculate. And personally, I don't want
to go out and get a law degree just so I can speculate on such matters. It
just means that I'm probably not as good at such speculation as a lawyer
would be. It doesn't say that concretely, and it certainly doesn't
invalidate whatever speculations may be made. Only Ebay can do that.

DaveE