 Marketplace / Auctions / 7537
Re: This makes me SICK!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 21:37:46 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Mark Hollingsworth writes:
Here's what I really wrote, and you were absolutely wrong about the ebay
rules.

Personal aside (just passing the buck, sorry Charles, if you were indeed
wrong) but I tried to be very careful in my wording because I did not
actually find the quoted rules which were supposedly in question. Instead I
said:

I have been informed that the following is forbidden:
"Offering in a listing the opportunity to purchase the item or other
merchandise outside of eBay. "

I also said:

I believe that the following auction item may be prohibited by Ebay policy

I did look briefly (for about 5 minutes) for the quotes Charles provided but
I couldn't find them as written, which is why I tried to be careful in what
I said. If they are indeed a misquote, then I apologize for spreading such.
But if they are in fact direct quotes, I still would hold that your auction
was questionable according to such a rule. Personally, if your auction is
found not to violate such a rule, then I think such a rule should be clarified.

Check out my RIS sales!  Why do you have to be mad when someone else
makes money?

I'm not mad when someone makes money. But I do occasionally feel that
someone is not morally justified in their actions when charging what I would
deem to be 'too much', and are seeming to 'take advantage' of the unawares.
Do I feel compelled to do something? Not always. They're within their rights
(unless they're not, which I thought this time). Do I feel like being
hostile to them? Certainly not. Do I feel like being NICE to them? No. Very
big differences here.

You should buy a RIS 1.5 set from me, and leave some negative
feedback, but be careful cause that's against ebay's TOS!

Oh? It's against Ebay's TOS to leave negative feedback? To give feedback
along the lines of: "This seller charged me way too much for this item!" is
not against Ebay's TOS. To be against the TOS, the feedback must be one or
more of the following:

- be found to be illegal, slanderous, etc, by law (a court)
- have no connection to Ebay
- contain dynamic content (link, image, javascript, etc)
- use profanity or vulgarity
- contain personal identiy information
- discuss Ebay's action or other law investigations
- be intended for another buyer/seller
- be from an invalid user
- be judged by Ebay to be a continual flame ("campaign to harass")
- have been left just prior to a member's suspension by Ebay

Note: the above is NOT a direct quote from Ebay-- just my interpretation
based upon reading their material, and wishing to shorten for brevity.

Hence, saying what I said above does NOT violate Ebay's TOS (unless you can
show otherwise). In fact, I believe I could even say "This seller charges
way too much on ALL his auctions!" (Although I'd hoped to find a TOS rule
saying that the feedback MUST be specific to THAT interaction). BUT, it
WOULD have the effect of making the buyer look like an idiot for buying
something that he 'knew' was overpriced, and would be easily refutable by
the seller, saying something like "If you find my prices too high, DON'T
BID! (duh!)"

$.02,
DaveE

FUTting over to .theory