 Marketplace / Auctions / 8562
Re: ebay rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 14:23:19 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Richard Marchetti writes:

some people have no idea how to grade an element.  And you'll have to
forgive me for the next statement, but: my personal experiences tell me not
to buy from sellers in the U.K. (apparently the worst element graders
ever!), but that sellers in Germany, Norway, Belgium, and Italy are
excellent graders. YMMV...

I'll second that.  I much more prefer to buy from Europe than
Canada or the USA.  When someone in Europe says the set is in
excellent condition, it really is!  When someone in North America
says that, it only means that the pieces haven't been set on
fire..., yet.

Okay, sweeping generalizations, I know.  But looking at my own
buying history, statistically it's true.  My theory is that in
Europe people kept much greater care of toys than those of us
in North America.  As a result the condition of the non-MISB set
population in Europe is much better than that of N.A.  Looking
at the sellers, not everyone is a professional toy seller who
knows how to grade (even the "professionals" don't always know).
Ultimately it's all subjective.  It's human nature for everyone
to say "excellent condition" or similar in their ads.  So based
on the condition of the set population, "excellent" in Europe
equates to much better product than in N.A.

The only protection as a buyer is to ask specific questions
about use, colour, etc.  Unless the seller has posted such
very high-quality photos that you need not ask.

KDJ
LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada