 Marketplace / Auctions / 8524
Re: ebay rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 15:46:30 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Bruce Schlickbernd writes:
In lugnet.market.auction, Lawrence Wilkes writes: • <snip>
It's like some folks are not lying or doing anything illegal, but just putting up hundreds of auctions over and over
again that get no bids because it doesn't cost them anything, but they just hope there is one mug out there who falls
for it.

eBay gets your money regardless of whether you make a sale or not.  The
higher the starting bid (or reserve), the more you pay.  That's why BrickBay
prices are higher - they can rot on there without it costing the seller
money (correct me if I'm wrong - I don't have a BrickBay shop).

That is correct, eBay charges a listing fee (fixed amount based on starting
bid) + a percentage of sale, whereas BrickBay only charges a 'percentage of
sale' (currently 2%, but I expect it to rise to 3% shortly).

A few weeks back I suggested that (rather than raise the percentage) BrickBay
should impose a 'minimal' listing fee (my suggestion was roughly 1-cent per lot
per month). That suggestion met with some indifference and little positive
comment.

I still believe that the 'minimal' listing fee is a more equitable method of
distributing the operating costs, rather than placing the entire burden on those
making the most sales.

Ray