 Marketplace / Auctions / 8536
Re: ebay rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 20:04:37 GMT

Lawrence Wilkes wrote:

Just wanted to moan about ebay.

Too many rubbish auctions getting in the way

Besides the obvious con artists, things I dont like

1. ridiculous start price. It's like setting a reserve, but without incurring a penalty if no one bids, as I understand
it. Who they trying to kid?

Actually, I prefer higher starting bids to Reserve Prices - at least you KNOW the minimum they will take.

2. repeat listing. Having failed to get a response due to 1, they just simply relist the same item at the same price, ad
infinitum. Why do they bother?

Because it will sell sooner or later.  I've been auctioning off some Libretto accessories.  My last lot went unsold in a
3Day listing.  I relisted it, and someone used Buy Now just a few hours later to purchase it.  It was just a matter of
having the right buyers looking at it at the right time.

3. Misleading descriptions. like HUGE and rare, when they are not.

This DOES bug me.  300 pcs of Lego is NOT a huge lot ;-)

4. useless descriptions. Like "Huge amount of bricks". Nothing else. How is anyone suppose to bid on that?

I skip those entirely if there are no pics, but I LOVE listings like this, because often they do have pics, and you can spot
rare pieces, and pick up a lot cheap.

5. misleading pictures. Like the same one for several different auctions.

You're not providing enough info here - are the lots completely different, slightly different, or the same?  If they're the
same, why wouldn't you use the same pic?

I've auctioned off several 6369s with the door slat colors changed.  I've used the same pic over and over again, because the
only difference between the sets was the color of the bottom slat.  Why take new pics for each set in that case?

6. Long running auctions. Dont know what the mechanism is, havent put anything up for sale recently, but I notice
auctions now running with an end date over a month away! And the same people will then do point 2 at the end of the
month as well.

One MONTH??  Longest I know of is 10 days, unless Ebay overseas has different rules.

It's like some folks are not lying or doing anything illegal, but just putting up hundreds of auctions over and over
again that get no bids because it doesn't cost them anything, but they just hope there is one mug out there who falls
for it.

It does cost them.  Ebay only refunds the listing fee if the lot sells the second time, otherwise you pay it.