 Marketplace / Auctions / 8538
Re: ebay rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 20:18:29 GMT

Tom Stangl wrote:

Lawrence Wilkes wrote:

Just wanted to moan about ebay.

Too many rubbish auctions getting in the way

Besides the obvious con artists, things I dont like

1. ridiculous start price. It's like setting a reserve, but without incurring a penalty if no one bids, as I understand
it. Who they trying to kid?

Actually, I prefer higher starting bids to Reserve Prices - at least you KNOW the minimum they will take.

Additionally, if the price is high enough, it can scare off the
competition.

3. Misleading descriptions. like HUGE and rare, when they are not.

This DOES bug me.  300 pcs of Lego is NOT a huge lot ;-)

Yea, it's annoying, not much to do about it.

4. useless descriptions. Like "Huge amount of bricks". Nothing else. How is anyone suppose to bid on that?

I skip those entirely if there are no pics, but I LOVE listings like this, because often they do have pics, and you can spot
rare pieces, and pick up a lot cheap.

Agreed. I often check out the poorly described lots. I've won some nice
stuff that way.

5. misleading pictures. Like the same one for several different auctions.

You're not providing enough info here - are the lots completely different, slightly different, or the same?  If they're the
same, why wouldn't you use the same pic?

I've auctioned off several 6369s with the door slat colors changed.  I've used the same pic over and over again, because the
only difference between the sets was the color of the bottom slat.  Why take new pics for each set in that case?

As long as the description is clear that what is offered is not exactly
what is pictured I have no complaints. On the other hand, it's a good
way to get me suspicious if there are hints the items are really
different.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com