 Marketplace / Auctions / 8543
Re: ebay rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 00:36:27 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
Just wanted to moan about ebay.

Okay, go ahead. :)

Too many rubbish auctions getting in the way

Besides the obvious con artists, things I dont like

1. ridiculous start price. It's like setting a reserve, but without incurring a penalty if no one bids, as I understand
it. Who they trying to kid?

Without incurring a penalty if no one bids? Sorry, but depending on what the
STARTING price is, they already 'incurred a penalty' by having to pay a
LISTING fee. It's 0.30 cents (US) just for LISTING an auction (with a
starting price of UNDER $10).

2. repeat listing. Having failed to get a response due to 1, they just simply relist the same item at the same price, ad
infinitum. Why do they bother?

Not sure why they do, if they don't change the price if the previous time
didn't sell. But even to relist still incurres the 0.30 listing fee. Which
is refunded ONLY if the relisting gets at least one bid.

6. Long running auctions. Dont know what the mechanism is, havent put anything up for sale recently, but I notice
auctions now running with an end date over a month away! And the same people will then do point 2 at the end of the
month as well.

Over a month away?? The maximum listing period for any eBay auction is 10
days (and that costs an extra 10 cents to boot!)

It's like some folks are not lying or doing anything illegal, but just putting up hundreds of auctions over and over
again that get no bids because it doesn't cost them anything, but they just hope there is one mug out there who falls
for it.

Well, if the same folks is putting up hundreds of auctions over and over,
they're gonna burn out their own money before too long. 100 auctions with a
Starting Bid of under $10 for the max free listing period of 7 days will
cost $30 dollars. Repeat that 4 times in a month (4 weeks) would be $240.
Hefty price if NONE of those auctions gain one bid (and therefore a sale).

And ebay dont care because it just means more ads served up as you  are forced to browse through the dross.

What's your pet ebay hate?

regards
lawrence

My single pet eBay peave is dead-beat bidders (those with rating less than
10) who bid up a price simple to get it up. And they don't care if they win,
cause more than likely they aren't going to pay.