 Marketplace / Auctions / 8561
Re: ebay rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 14:11:03 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Bob Parker writes:
In lugnet.market.auction, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

What's your pet ebay hate?

8. They say the set is "complete" but when it arrives and I build it,
between 5 and 10 pieces are missing!

This is my biggest bug!  In all of the non-MISB sets I have
purchased, something around 25% is all that are complete or
match the auction description (like "complete except missing
these specific items", and then more are missing than listed).

There was a thread I started about this a while back...
http://news.lugnet.com/market/auction/?n=8080
The consensus seemed to say that if you receive half of your
wins as actually complete, you are lucky.  I would say that
95% of the sellers I've bought from are good sellers.  But even
those good sellers send sets incomplete.  It depends on a lot
of factors (see that other thread, as many sellers responded).

It does get tedious though having to wait 1 month for a
transaction to come to a conclusion because you are waiting for
them to send the missing pieces (because in 80+% of the cases,
they come up with the pieces you are missing).  I've also
had several instances where the replacement pieces have become
lost or damaged in the mail, because the seller isn't aware
of what the postal sorting machines will do to an envelope
(even a padded one) that contains a few pieces of LEGO.
Since I've seen it plenty now, I've now started to advise
sellers in advance of how to pack the replacement pieces to
avoid loss/damage.

My collection is large enough that I could probably still
build the sets as shipped.  But I want the capacity for *all*
of my sets to be built as complete without cannibalizing one
another.  Especially the Classic Space collection.  So if
I used up my true loose spares (don't belong to any set), I
run out very fast with the volume of sets I buy.  I would then
have to buy the missing pieces myself, and that adds up very
fast (including shipping).  I shouldn't have to pay an extra
$5 to complete every set I buy by getting the pieces myself.
So I take every opporunity to make the seller replace the
pieces at their cost, even if they are pieces I have in my
spares pile.  As time goes by my spares pile is still being
depleted due to the 20% of sellers who don't have the pieces
that are missing.

Anyhow, again, the majority of sellers will replace the pieces.
They are providing a great customer service when they do so,
and I always thank them for that extra effort (I hope I've
never forgotten to do that!).

KDJ
LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada