 Marketplace / Auctions / 8526
Re: ebay rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 15:19:47 GMT

Lawrence Wilkes wrote in message ...
Just wanted to moan about ebay.

Too many rubbish auctions getting in the way

Agreed. I wish eBay would give us subdivisions of the Lego category (new
sets, used sets, new parts, used parts, other)

1. ridiculous start price. It's like setting a reserve, but without • incurring a penalty if no one bids, as I understand
it. Who they trying to kid?

There's no penalty as such if you set a reserve and no-one bids, but you pay
a listing fee according to the higher of your reserve or starting price. So
there's no advantage in setting a high start price over a high reserve,
except that it lets the buyers see what the deal is right from the
beginning. A lot of people hate reserves because they are hidden.

2. repeat listing. Having failed to get a response due to 1, they just • simply relist the same item at the same price, ad
infinitum. Why do they bother?

They only get to do this free once.

6. Long running auctions. Dont know what the mechanism is, havent put • anything up for sale recently, but I notice
auctions now running with an end date over a month away! And the same • people will then do point 2 at the end of the
month as well.

These are not auctions, but items in a sellers "eBay store". The display
method for these is pretty misleading, it's hard to tell them apart from
auctions, but they are fixed price items.

What's your pet ebay hate?

Millions of tiny lots for stupid prices

People start-pricing their lots as a one-shot, win it for the opening bid
deal, rather than starting low for a genuine auction.

Kevin
Craftsman Lego Kits & Custom models: http://www.lionsgatemodels.com
Brickbay Lego parts store: http://www.brickbay.com/store.asp?p=Kevinw1
eBay Lego auctions: http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/kevinw1/