 Marketplace / Auctions / 8532
Re: ebay rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 19:09:21 GMT

How about...

1) The mere appearance of consumer protection through useless programs like
"Safe-Harbor."  The reality is that you are not protected in any way under a
certain amount, and that even should you qualify for the protection eBay is
obviously understaffed such that there is no way they can police the
auctions much less help you out of your jam after you get screwed.  The
whole idea of protecting the consumer is mere pretense!

2) The fact that eBay allows obviously deceptive and fraudulent auctions to
take place because, after all, they get a cut of the outcome of the sale.

3) Lugnet members that have sold me crap through auction services.  You
would think that being lugnuts that they would understand some of the
nuanced aspects of what they are doing.  But I have found over time that
some people have no idea how to grade an element.  And you'll have to
forgive me for the next statement, but: my personal experiences tell me not
to buy from sellers in the U.K. (apparently the worst element graders
ever!), but that sellers in Germany, Norway, Belgium, and Italy are
excellent graders. YMMV...

Some things I avoid on auction sites:
1) Auctions run by persons who clearly have no idea what they are doing!
Sometimes you can tell by the descriptions, or they literally state things
like "I don't really know my Lego, it looks complete, and there are a couple
of little people.  I don't know if the set has all of the accessories, and
some of the parts look like the wrong color...etc., etc."  Great, you want
me to pay for it, but you don't even know what you are selling?

2) Other members that both buy and sell the same items.  My assumption being
that they are collecting the best condition elements and selling the faulty
rejects, the real problem being that they do not describe the items in an
honest manner when they go back up for resale.

Thank the gods I am not one easily motivated to name names!

-- Hop-Frog