 Marketplace / Auctions / 8545
Re: ebay rant
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 05:01:01 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Richard Marchetti writes:
How about...

1) The mere appearance of consumer protection through useless programs like
"Safe-Harbor."  The reality is that you are not protected in any way under a
certain amount, and that even should you qualify for the protection eBay is
obviously understaffed such that there is no way they can police the
auctions much less help you out of your jam after you get screwed.  The
whole idea of protecting the consumer is mere pretense!

That's a good one. Pretense indeed. It's funny but eBay can at different
times screw over both buyers AND small sellers. The only guys that are safe
are the big time sellers.

In fact, the whole eBay feedback system is flawed... if you are a seller
with a pretty good (or on up to perfect) reputation, you are hostage to
someone leaving you a bad feedback, and unlike BrickBay where you can appeal
to an actual human that actually will investigate the circumstances and
possibly do something about it (Hi Dan!), there is nothing you can do about
it. (We, selling relatively low value items, are somewhat less susceptible
to this but it's still an issue)

I read through most of the thread just now and I can see that we all do have
different perspectives... I read a few complaints about shipping (wanting to
pay exact shipping, wanting shipment to your country etc.) and I have to
differ a bit. While as a buyer I hate paying extravagantly inflated
shipping, I have a policy as a seller that I have a minimum shipping charge,
and further you ARE going to pay something extra beyond what it costs me. (a
dollar, typically, but it may be a bit more if I overestimated)

I do not like doing overseas deals because it requires a minimum of two
trips to the post office to do exact shipping. Who has time? Domestic I can
use my scale, a rate chart and quote shipping, but it's too variable
internationally (yes I have an international rate chart but still). I still
do ship internationally but I don't like it. Worse, receiving payment
internationally is a pain, even with PayPal. So you have to get it right and
you can't as easily just say "send me way over and I will refund you the
overage" because the refund took not one but two haircuts (one coming to me,
and one again on return to the buyer)

But I digress.