 Marketplace / Auctions / 400
Re: Discussion Post: Auczilla
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Sat, 19 Dec 1998 02:59:44 GMT

Mike Stanley wrote in message ...
:Larry Pieniazek <lpien@ctp.IWANTNOSPAM.com> wrote:
:>> >Are you SURE you really wouldn't rather I was really broke?
:>>
:>> Positive. You're an important market force in the online Lego
market.
:>
:>Can you elaborate? I may be important to certain sellers but I
rather
:>suspect a number of buyers would prefer I folded my tent and slunk
away
:>quietly into the night.
:
:(Standard disclaimer:  I'm a classicist, not an economist.)

Mike, I AM an economist and I can say that you have presented a better
economic argument than could some economists I know.

:
:I think you benefit other buyers as well, and I'll try to explain
why.
:Sellers need buyers, right?  So when more people are buying, or some
:people are buying lots, or anything like that, it would seem to
follow
:that more people would jump on the selling bandwagon.  I can remember
:when the number of people doing parts sales/auctions could be
numbered
:on one hand.  Now you see lots of them both on RTL/Lugnet and Ebay
and
:now other auction sites (Yahoo, etc).
:
:Would all those people invest in the sets to part out if they didn't
:think they could at least cover the cost of them and keep the parts
:they want?  Doubt it.  What makes them feel sure they'll be able to
do
:that?  People buying lots of stuff, and specifically, certain buyers
:like you who have a history of going crazy and buying lots of stuff.
:
:More people are selling, so there is more selection, and now
:especially, more competition.  More quantity for buyers and lower
:prices.  True, you might totally dominate certain catagories, but
I've
:seen you pull out of my own auctions for certain items when someone
:else outbids you and you aren't willing to go any higher, so I assume
:you do the same in other auctions.
:
:You can't buy everything, no matter what people think, and you might
:just have an indirect influence on the amount of stuff being offered
:for sale/auction anyway.
:
:I'd say you're a positive influence for both sides.
:
:--
:Unofficial listing of weekly US Lego Shop at Home phone specials
:http://www.lugnet.com/lsahs/  (discontinued thru Holiday season)
:800-835-4386 (S@H USA) / 800-267-5346 ext 222 (S@H Canada)
:www.lugnet.com/news/ - A great new resource for LEGO fans worldwide