 Marketplace / Auctions / 381
Re: Discussion Post: Auczilla
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 10:16:57 GMT

Beaker <beaker@havoc.gtf.org> writes:

Also sprach James Aldrich:
The solution is simple: You pays your money and you takes your choice.
If AucZILLA doesn't suit you, don't participate.  If AucZILLA VII was
your first, you had ample opportunity to learn how it works and what to
expect.  AucZILLA is what it is; it ain't broke; it doesn't need fixing.

Also, if I remember correctly, AUCZilla VII (the one still currently
shipping) was the One That Got Away ... it got too big, being larger
than both 6 and 8.  Ordinarily shipping times had been around 2 months
after closing, which is no big deal, especially when you consider the
size and complexity of these auctions.  I think 7 was a learning
experience for Todd, as he has indicated in some posts, and we should
probably remember 6 earlier auctions and wait and see how 8 finishes up.

I think VI was really the one that "got away."  Here are the approximate
historical sizes:

   Auction -  Pieces - Packages

         I -  30,000 -   85
        II -   5,000 -   72
       III -  30,000 -   87
        IV -  95,000 -  185
         V - 210,000 -  276
        VI - 225,000 -  343   <--- peak
       VII - 155,000 -  281
      VIII - 110,000 -  290
         :      :         :
        IX -  50,000?   200?
         X -  30,000?   150?
         :      :         :

Our target for AucZILLA IX is in the 50,000 piece range, and we're hoping
for 200 (or fewer) participants with final winnings.  AucZILLA X may be as
small as 30,000 pieces.

We find it equally frustrating that the turnaround time is so long, and
we'll keep reducing the sizes progressively until we can get the overall
cycle time (from initial launch down to final shipping) down to 6-8 weeks
(6 would be ideal).  I suspect that the ultimate size may need to get down
to 25,000 pieces in order to achieve this goal comfortably.

Unfortunately, even though we realized many months ago that the auctions had
grown too large, we weren't been able to just drop the sizes abruptly
because we'd bought so much LEGO already that we needed to recover the costs
on.  So it's a gradual tapering downward.

--Todd