 Marketplace / Auctions / 371
Re: Discussion Post: Auczilla
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 01:58:47 GMT

"Perhaps a Princess..." wrote:

Another longtimer here who admits to being "very slow" in getting out
auction sets STILL managed to keep me up to date/get my sets out
before my frustration meter topped. I don't know if it was the
personal contact, or the email saying "This is current status on your
sets" that made the difference in his case.

I think that was me. :-) But I was running a very, very small set
auction, not a parts auction. Margins are higher on sets, and smaller
auctions admit of more personal attention. Both factors contribute to
personal updates... Also, I got periodic (automated) updates from the
'ZILLA 'bot with status.

Someone else mentioned that the reason it is so long is so that the
next AucZILLA auction can get up and running so quickly.

I think the lag is due to the size. Further, I think Todd and Suz are
trying to get the size down to decrease the lag. Consider the task of
breaking out and bursting 200000 parts into 400 different shipping
containers and I think it's a miracle it's doable in a year. I certainly
could not do it.

Todds exact methods are proprietary but you can be sure he gets cleverer
each time. I won't speculate on exactly what the methods are.

But I advocated, somewhere, I forget where, that we find some really
really depressed town in Kentucky and hire people to do this "burst and
pack" for Todd so he can just run the auction and generate ship lists.

Personal preference, sure, but I would prefer that this auction's
winnings got out faster even if that meant more time between auctions
-- gives folks a chance to build up their money reserves as well
between the two.

Are you SURE you really wouldn't rather I was really broke?

- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.