 Marketplace / Auctions / 2859
Re: Scan of current S@H catalog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1999 20:19:48 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Kevin Loch writes:
Ah-Ha! I just found it:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/png-list.html

scroll down to catalogs...
I guess if the catalog is current, and the bidder can subsequently order
items from the catalog then it is forbidden.  This is to prevent ebay
fee shortcutting.  Of course they are ignoring the intrinsic value
of the catalog itself.

Man, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my entire life.

So, technically, I guess this even means that selling a large unopened LEGO
set on eBay is verboten, since large LEGO sets contain catalogs that you can
actually order from (those little fold-out "LEGO Direct" catalogs).

:-p

Thanks for digging this up, Kevin.  It's a great example of a rule "gone
horribly wrong" which may have made a bit of sense in spirit (from some
perverse managerial point of view) but which makes absolutely no sense in
practice.  From a read of the eBay policies page (URL above), it sounds like
the spirit of what they're trying to prevent is things like collector's
catalogs and catalogs with person-to-person classified ads.  More precisely,
it sounds like they wanted to prevent the catalog publishers from selling
their own catalogs on eBay.  So, a LEGO fan selling a LEGO catalog on eBay
may violate the "letter of the law" but it certainly doesn't violate the
spirit of it, if that's the right interpretation.  Egad, eBay!

--Todd