 Marketplace / Auctions / 2867
Re: Scan of current S@H catalog
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 00:45:43 GMT

Lorbaat wrote:

In lugnet.market.auction, Larry Pieniazek writes:
Ended.

Quoting from the note from ended@ebay.com:

"Catalogs are included in the list of items that are not allowed for
sale on eBay."

I looked in a number of places and did not see this ban but I may have
missed it.

<sigh>

Here's a thought:  Why not just list one of the items in question?  Make the
opening bid the actual cost of the item that you would pay, and plaster all
over the description how it is NOT rare, is currently available through S@H
(and would, in fact, be cheaper, since anyone buying it from you would have to
pay your shipping charges).

That oughta do it.  They (probably) can't stop you from listing an actual item,
while encouraging people not to bid on it.

Probably in fact can stop you. The TOS is rather clearer on listings
that are not really intended to be actually won. If the listing comes
out and says you should not buy X because you can get it for less,
that's bid siphoning.

The closest you can come is to state where you got the item without
advocating any action. In fact, my admonishment to people to check Busy
Bee for hoppers (even when I state they are out) is putatively
siphoning.

People do it all the time, though. If you check the list of catalog URLs
that Mike dug up (thanks, Mike) you'll find a number that are
encouraging you to go to their site.