 Marketplace / Auctions / 2787
    Scan of current S@H catalog —Larry Pieniazek
   My scanner seems to be on the fritz due to driver issues, and the install CD has went on a walkabout... don't ask. ;-) Anyway, I have a good supply of the most current S@H catalog and I am going to try auctioning them off on eBay the way we've been (...) (25 years ago, 16-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.publish, lugnet.general)

        Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Larry Pieniazek
     Thanks all for the help. Here's the URL. LUGNET regulars are NOT going to want to bid on this! (someone asked me for a copy, as they had not gotten one. I will be happy to oblige, send me an SASE with sufficient postage, and of sufficient size, and (...) (25 years ago, 16-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.publish, lugnet.general)

         Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Jeremy Sproat
     (...) exhibiting male-pattern baldness? Is it the introduction of a new minifig wig? This could be a the dawn of a new era for us balding AFOLs! :-, Cheers, - jsproat (25 years ago, 18-Oct-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

        Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —John Matthews
     Here is a scan: (URL) Luck Larry! John Matthews Larry Pieniazek <lar@voyager.net> wrote in message news:3808E352.FABD39...ger.net... (...) (25 years ago, 17-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.publish, lugnet.general)

         Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Larry Pieniazek
     Wow, that was fast! Thanks! (...) Larry Pieniazek larryp@novera.com (URL) - - Web Application Integration! (URL) Lugnet(tm): (URL) ref: lar, 1/2 $$ to lugnet. NOTE: Soon to be lpieniazek@tsisoft.com :-) (25 years ago, 16-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.publish, lugnet.general)

         Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Larry Pieniazek
     Thanks go out to Rob Doucette who sent me both the McD AND the train covers. Appreciate it, both you guys (...) (25 years ago, 16-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.publish, lugnet.general)

        Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Kevin Wilson
     (...) Larry, don't you think that "writeup stating that you (...) the same problems with eBay as the Blue Hopper writeup? I have seen another instance where eBay does not allow "secrets revealed" type of items where the secrets relate to eBay itself (...) (25 years ago, 17-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.publish, lugnet.general)

         Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) It might. We will see. followups to theory... This time, if they pull it, I will follow up with eBay more aggressively because the listing has been crafted pretty carefully to avoid every issue I can think of that has been raised in the past. (...) (25 years ago, 16-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.publish, lugnet.general)

         Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Kevin Loch
     Any registered user can submit an article to /. but getting it posted is the trick. IMO it's highly filtered to the tastes of the people that approve the messages. They don't seem to care about LEGO unless it involves Mindstorms in some way. If you (...) (25 years ago, 17-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

         Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) Good tips. So do you think that a frequent contributor has the same chance, or a better chance, of getting an article past the editors? (25 years ago, 17-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.theory)

        Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Ludo Soete
     (...) Hi Larry, I see that you want to sell a S@H catalog through E-Bay. Now,i'm a little disapointed because now you can make only 1 person happy with it. What do you think of the following idee: Place scans of the S@H catalog at the brickshelf.com (...) (25 years ago, 18-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.publish, lugnet.general)

         Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Larry Pieniazek
      (...) I won't go too deeply into motive but suffice it to say that what has resulted is that I now have a lot in the eBay gallery that says "secrets of RARE and Not Sold In Stores", where many people will see it. As far as I can tell, that lot (...) (25 years ago, 18-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.publish, lugnet.general)

          Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Larry Pieniazek
       (...) Er, um, I didn't mean to omit other countries... those are just the "continental Europe" factorees. I also have a strong contingent in the UK, and three pacific rim countries (Japan, NZ, Australia) also have representation. Countries I would (...) (25 years ago, 18-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.publish, lugnet.general)

          Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Tom Stangl
      Yeah, well, I'm actually to the point where I need to be PAID to order sets, rather than trade for non-US sets, because I actually <gasp!> have too many of the 1252-1256 Shell sets on the way to me ;-) There are the new Singapore sets I want a very (...) (25 years ago, 19-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.publish, lugnet.general)

          Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Frank Filz
      (...) I'm interested in the Shell sets also, and am willing to place S@H orders for US specific sets also, under the same terms as Tom. (25 years ago, 19-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade)

         Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Mike Stanley
      (...) I think you misunderstand the whole point of posting this on eBay. First of all, Larry clearly states that people can get their _own_ catalog by calling S@H - so he definitely CAN make more than one person happy. Second, the point isn't to (...) (25 years ago, 18-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.publish, lugnet.general)

         Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —James Brown
      (...) I'm not Kevin, but I don't think he'd do it, since it violates his (self- imposed) restrictions(1) about placing scans of current Lego product on his website. Besides, anyone who wants one can order it from S@H, unless they aren't in the (...) (25 years ago, 18-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.publish, lugnet.general)

          Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Mike Stanley
       (...) I've hosted scans of the accessories pages from the S@H catalogs before. I wouldn't mind hosting the whole catalog if someone else wants to scan it. Couldn't do it on my guarded-inn.com site because I'd be afraid of the bandwidth it would use (...) (25 years ago, 18-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.publish, lugnet.general)

          Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Kevin Loch
      All catalogs are acceptable. In fact, there are a couple of S@H catalogs up there now, as well as catalogs up through 1999. Hopefully, someone will upload the 2000 catalogs when they show up. The date restrictions only apply to building instructions (...) (25 years ago, 18-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.publish, lugnet.general)

          Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —James Brown
      (...) Ah, ok. Serves me right for assuming and not checking. :) In which case, I'll see what I can do about getting you scans of that "Classic Favorites" catalogue (Canadian S@H) that has been getting discussed here lately. James (URL) (25 years ago, 18-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.publish, lugnet.general)

         Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Yossi Gil
     In lugnet.market.auction, Ludo Soete writes: ... (...) If someone makes the scans, I would be happy to post them (temporarily) on my website. Further, if someone will just fax this to me (Israel), I could make the B&W scans here and post them. I am (...) (25 years ago, 19-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.publish, lugnet.general)

        Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Larry Pieniazek
   Ended. Quoting from the note from ended@ebay.com: "Catalogs are included in the list of items that are not allowed for sale on eBay." I looked in a number of places and did not see this ban but I may have missed it. <sigh> Thanks all for the help (...) (25 years ago, 21-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

        Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Mike Stanley
     (...) Seems to me like it's time to start raising a stink elsewhere. (25 years ago, 21-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

        Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Mike Stanley
     (...) OH? I know at least some of these are stamps, but I just did a search for catalog: 4833 items found for the search "catalog" . Showing items 1 to 50 (25 years ago, 21-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

        Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Mike Stanley
     (...) Just went through their entire list. Catalogs are most definitely NOT on the list. I'm going to search through their listings and post auction refs for catalogs here - you can do with them as you see fit. (25 years ago, 21-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

         Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Mike Stanley
      (...) I suppose it could be argued that some of these are more obviously "collectible" but they are catalogs. Someone has a mad-on for you and they're using eBay to harass you, imo. (URL) The parts you want and nothing else? (URL) - Just Another (...) (25 years ago, 21-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

         Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Alan Demlow
     Actually, current catalogs *are* prohibited, but the intention is to prevent sellers from circumventing the fee structure by selling a catalog cheaply, then having buyers order from the original seller (makes sense to me). To quote: Catalog Sales (...) (25 years ago, 21-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

         Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Eric Joslin
     (...) the (...) Actually, Larry would be circumventing their fee structure, and violating the spirit of the rule. See, if he sells the catalogue, people can buy the catalogue and then buy directly from TLG. This cuts eBay directly out of the loop- (...) (25 years ago, 21-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

        Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Eric Joslin
     (...) Here's a thought: Why not just list one of the items in question? Make the opening bid the actual cost of the item that you would pay, and plaster all over the description how it is NOT rare, is currently available through S@H (and would, in (...) (25 years ago, 21-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

         Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Simon Robinson
      (...) item, (...) I was going to start one a little bit similar - though with a higher starting bid. I was going to do an auction for the McDonalds Lego set with a starting bid of $25. The write-up was going to explain how when someone won the (...) (25 years ago, 21-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

          Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Alan Demlow
      Yes, somebody could auction an "Ordering service for McD's exclusive from Lego S@H!" Description: "After the lucky winner sends me their address, I will dial xxx xxx-xxxx and order one special edition McD's set for $11, which will be delivered (...) (25 years ago, 21-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

         Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) Probably in fact can stop you. The TOS is rather clearer on listings that are not really intended to be actually won. If the listing comes out and says you should not buy X because you can get it for less, that's bid siphoning. The closest you (...) (25 years ago, 22-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

        Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Kevin Loch
     (...) WTF??! I have never seen that documented anywhere, and there are lots of catalogs on ebay at any given time. Perhaps the quote should have read: "Items that may educate the consumer are strictly prohibited..." I think it's time fore everyone (...) (25 years ago, 21-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

         Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Kevin Loch
      Here's an interesting /. article on the subject: (...) (25 years ago, 21-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

         Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Tom Stangl
     No, I think it's time to Slashdot Ebay. (...) -- | Tom Stangl, Technical Support Netscape Communications Corp | Please do not associate my personal views with my employer (25 years ago, 21-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

        Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —James Brown
     (...) (URL) catalogues on it. Someone has you on their "harrass in spare time" list. James (URL) (25 years ago, 21-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

         Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Kevin Loch
     Ah-Ha! I just found it: (URL) down to catalogs... I guess if the catalog is current, and the bidder can subsequently order items from the catalog then it is forbidden. This is to prevent ebay fee shortcutting. Of course they are ignoring the (...) (25 years ago, 21-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

         Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Todd Lehman
      (...) Man, that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my entire life. So, technically, I guess this even means that selling a large unopened LEGO set on eBay is verboten, since large LEGO sets contain catalogs that you can actually order from (...) (25 years ago, 21-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

         Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Jodi Neal
     So then I guess since this one was an older one, that it was ok??? (URL) (25 years ago, 23-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

         Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Mike Stanley
     (...) (25 years ago, 23-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

         Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Larry Pieniazek
     (...) And that gives me an idea. In the spirit of service to the community and all that folderol: SO giving you a hard time about the size of your collection? Did you promise to sell some sets off but you really don't want to? Well, I have a (...) (25 years ago, 24-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory, lugnet.off-topic.fun)

         Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Simon Robinson
      Hey - do I spy a chance to outbid Larry here.... (...) I'll do the same - but I can make you a better offer: My fees are EXTREMELY reasonable, based on how badly you don't actually want to sell. Larry's are just 'reasonable'. Simon (URL) (25 years ago, 24-Oct-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

         Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —James Brown
     (...) Hmm. What kind of guarantees are you willing to offer? I mean, what if I have you list a set to not sell, and it actually does? Will you refund me my Lego? Or do I have to settle for fair market value? :) James (URL) (25 years ago, 24-Oct-99, to lugnet.off-topic.fun)

        Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Troy Cefaratti
   (...) Larry, I am thinking that someone that you left neutral feedback for is just sitting around with nothing better to do with their sorry life then monitor EVERYTHING that you list on eBay. Perhaps the way around this would be to have someone (...) (25 years ago, 23-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)

        Re: Scan of current S@H catalog —Tom Stangl
   Troy, I just uploaded the Fall 99 catalog to Brickshelf, so once Kevin has posted it, how about offering up a sale whereby you state clearly that you will print the catalog in B&W on paper and send it to the person if they wish? And you can even (...) (25 years ago, 23-Oct-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.market.theory)